Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drivability help needed for "new" Star

As many of you know, I've been wanting to buy a Durant car for several months now. That was finally made possible with the help of Frank Witkowski (many thanks Frank!). My "new" 1926 Star R 6 cylinder arrived last week during the rain and I rapidly discovered, during the drive home from the drop-off point, that the car does not handle well at all. It wants to weave back and forth all over the place unless held rigidly in place. It has the optional "fat-man" steering wheel that has some play in it but I'm trying to decide if the issue is in the springs not sliding due to rust or in the king pins (or something else). I plan to grease between the springs as soon as the weather is really nice and I can get it out to work on it.

While looking at the springs I noticed that the front springs were almost flat with very nearly zero bow in them. Does anyone know exactly how much bow the front springs are supposed to have in them? My guess is that you have to measure from the frame to the center of the spring with only car weight on it but I do not know what that measurement should be.

Gene

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2, 1926 Star 6 and 1926 Star Landau (project)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club