Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Now that the holidays are behind us we need to start thinking about the DMAC East Coast Chapter Spring Meet usually held late April, early May. I know it's hard to think about this when most of you are having snow and freezing weather, but before you know it Spring will be upon us and time to get out the ole cars and get them running. Also it takes time to arrange hotels, attractions etc so we need to start making calls and arrangements now. Any thoughts on were you'd like to go? OK, Florida and our 75+ degree weather is out of the question now, too far for most of you to travel and tow that car, and we want to see some cars. Think about it and let me or Frank know your thoughts and we'll make it happen.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Mike How about the Buffalo, NY, area in mid May.
You see of course that I'm trying to stay close to home.

There is the Pierce Arrow Museum and a gas station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. I think the " Martin House" also I believe a FLW creation ,is just west of town . AND no doubt many other places of interest to be found via the usual sources. Somewhere in the immediate area is [I believe] a craft and heritage area which has an Arts & Crafts design background . Not too far to the sites and sounds of Lockport and a pile of new/old Ford parts.
Maybe as late in May as possible ----- and therefore less cold and more likely just right.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Mid May:

Let's keep in mind that Mother's Day is May 10, so are we describing Mid May as the weekend of May 14-17?

Another option is April 30- May 3

While I am not opposed to Buffalo, I will say that it would be one of the more northern portions of the East Coast.

Other suggestions

Savannah, GA
Williamsburg, VA
Mystic Seaport, CT
Newport, RI

Just a few suggestions to add to the discussion.

Charlie

Where Are You From? NJ/CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Charlie Do they all have light houses ? Your soooooo coastal thinking.
However, there has to be some interesting sites in those areas.

Jack

There are lighthouses close to all of them, and with the exception of Savannah, I have been to the lighthouses near the other cities. I have been to a lot of lighthouses on the east coast, from Maine to Key West, FL.

And I was not even thinking of lighthouses when I added those cities to the list.

Newport has a lot of history and large old houses to see.
Williamsburg is a weeks worth of seeing history from the Revolutionary War.
Mystic Seaport has some old sailing vessels, not to forget that the US Coast Guard Academy is not far.

Where Are You From? NJ/CA

Would rather head south not north,Luray Caverns was the first one Tom and I attended and that was a nice area.

Where Are You From? Pa

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 4

Starting to make plans for the ECC Spring Meet. End of April maybe Northern Virginia or Maryland area. What do you think? Should be spring by then and getting warmer for you folks up North. Won't tell you what the weather is down here today. I'm also good for Northern Kentucky if there is something we can do there. let me know your thoughts on this.

Hi Mike: VA and MD would be great for us, less time we would need to get there will mean less time I need for a sitter for the Grandkids. Will be waiting to hear more. Tom and I always look forward to the Meet. Bobby says he wants to go to Disney and Indiana.

Where Are You From? PA

Been working on our ECC Spring Meet. This spring it will be in Frederick, Maryland, where Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Virginia all come together. I've contacted the Visitor Bureau and have information coming to me. They've sent out requests for bids for area hotels and I've gotten a couple back so far. As usual I'll try to get the best for less with plenty of parking for trucks/trailers. Right now the dates are April 23rd to April 26th or April 30 to May 03rd depending on hotel availability. There are several events going on in the Spring in that area and that will depend on hotel availability. There is a route for car clubs already plotted out with four covered bridges and several interesting museums in the area. I'll try to get the locked in by the end of the week.

Durant Motors Travel Agency.
Serving the all of Durant Motors

Sounds great... The AACA has held a few meets in Frederick, Md. in past years.

Mike, keep up the great work you are doing for the DMAC....

Yates

Where Are You From? Newport, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint E55

Still haven't locked in the hotel yet, hope to have it done either today or tomorrow. Must be still frozen in Frederick since I'm not getting much response from up there on hotels. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the update Mike. Frederick it is.! Sounds like a great choice of places and we plan to be there.

Re: East Coast Chapter Spring Meet April 30, 2015 - May 03, 2015

HERE IT IS: East Coast Chapter Spring Meet,

April 30, 2015 through May 03, 2015.

Best Western Historic Frederick
420 Prospect Boulevard, Frederick, Maryland, 21701
Phone 301-695-6200

Room Rate: $90.00 per night plus tax
Complimentary hot breakfast included

FOR RESERVATIONS CALL HOTEL DIRECT AT 301-695-6200, MENTION YOUR WITH THE DURANT MOTORS AUTO CLUB CONF# 2375 TO GET THE SPECIAL PRICE.

I've blocked 15 rooms for the club at that special rate. Cut off date for special price reservations is APRIL 15th. After that rooms will be released and I cannot guarantee the special price. So make your reservations early.

I know you Yankees are under a lot of cold weather, but turn on the heaters in your garages and tune up and spiff up the cars and plan on bringing them to the meet. Have some great touring routes and some things to see. Easy interstate access to Frederick and great roads and things to see. Weather should be warmer by then!

Mike:

Thanks for the info. A question, are you starting the activities on 4/30, therefore arrival should be on 4/29? If yes, is the hotel rate good for 4/29?

thanks

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? Wall Township

Will be making our reservations looking forward to it.

Where Are You From? PA

Morning Charlie
No the chapter meets have always been a day shorter, only 4 days total opposed to 5 days for the national meets. Travel day for everyone will be Thursday and Sunday.

Mike

thanks for the info.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ & CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.

Reservations Made see you all there. April 30th.

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant 4 door Sedan

That's great Ken & Dorothy, that's about 8 I know so far coming. Hopefully many many more!. Remember everyone cut off date is April 15th for the discounted room rate.

Is there a tentative schedule for the meet?

Where Are You From? Smithsburg, Md.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant 1923 sport touring

Morning Hilkka;
Tentative schedule at this time is arrival for everyone on Thursday, hospitality room open Thursday evening. Friday 09:30 A.M. leave from hotel and travel a short distance to a local museum. This allows those bringing cars to try them out and warm them up. We'll remain at the museum 1 to 2 hours, then we may have another short tour but most will be on their own in the afternoon to shop and see other things that might interest them. Saturday we leave from the hotel at the same time and travel North to a covered bridge tour mostly on back roads. Will be a total of 30 miles round trip. We'll stop for lunch along the way. I have not locked in all the activities or eating locations yet. Sunday is travel day again for the trip home. Hope to see you there since it's so close to you!

How's those reservations coming. You all know you need a good trip and Durant get together after you terrible winter weather. Get together with your extended Durant family in a beautiful area of the country and catch up on all those stories. Give the hotel a call today and make that reservation!

Mike

I wrote down the info yesterday during our latest snow storm that was suppose to be 1-3" and resulted in 6+ inches....Peg and I will be there, will make reservations next week. Watching the NCAA basketball games during the weekend.

Looking forward to travel without snow in the forecast.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ-CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 4

That's fantastic Charlie, because of your schedule in April, you usually can't join us for the ECC meet. Will be great to have you both there.

Mike

We are booked at the hotel....and looking forward to a few days in MD.

Do you have a list of restaurants in the area for dinner on Thurs/Fri/Sat?

thanks

We look forward to seeing everyone in about a month.

Where Are You From? NJ and CA

I have a visitor bureau guide, but haven't worked on a list or contacted any for a group dinner yet. Probably will do that next week as things slow down for me around here. I did notice a local establishment that sells home brew like you like. You'll have to put it on your list.

Mike

thanks, yesterday I did google restaurants in Frederick and I did find two brewpubs, and I also found several restaurants that serve crab cakes, also a favorite of mine.

Our game plan is to get to the hotel before 5 pm, then have dinner some place, and we certainly would enjoy having company.

charlie

Just made reservations, see everyone in Frederick!

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923Star, 1928Durant

Great Bill, just wouldn't be an event without the DeVries there! Always enjoy seeing you guys!

Made the reservation : the plan is to be there by Thurs afternoon !!!

Do You own a car built by Durant? yup

Time is ticking away, you only have 8 days left for the hotel reservation discount deadline. Remember in order to get the reduced special rate at our designated hotel, you must register by calling them by the 15th of April. After that the price cannot be guaranteed. You know after that nasty Winter you really want to get out and travel and see your fellow Durantonians! See you in Frederick!

Checked with the hotel and there is still rooms available for us. Don't procrastinate they are going fast and I can't guarantee I can get more at that special rate. You that are lurking know you really want to come and join us. Have never known anyone that shows up not to have a great time and make some new friends. Think Spring, touring in those open cars through the fields and pastures of upper Maryland! I also want to see some cars, so really really plan on bringing your car to the event. Don't want to have another Charleston.

Want to bring this back to the top for those who are vacillating on whether to attend or not. You have one day, until tomorrow the 15th to make your hotel reservation to get the discounted price on the rooms. You know you want to come car or not, so go ahead and call the hotel and make that reservation. Even if you can only come for some of the time, it's time for a Durant family reunion and to get the cars out of those cold garages and take them out for a spin. Gas is down and supposed to still drop some as we head into the Summer so hook up that trailer and bring her down. I'll be arriving on Thursday and will have the hospitality room open in the afternoon. Our events start on Friday morning around 09:30.

Mike

I talked to Ed today. He asked if Peg and I were going and if he could ride with us. He is still recovering, but can walk with a cane. He can drive short distances so he will be coming to our home that Thursday, and riding down with us. I told him he had until tomorrow to get a hotel reservation.

So if you are keeping a scorecard, add Ed to the list of people attending.

See you all in about two weeks.

Charlie

Charlie
That is great, when Frank and I spoke last week, he was going to give Ed a call and see how his health was doing. It will be great to see him.

Time is getting real close so you have just a few days to get out the old Durant/Star and dust her off, charge the battery and gas her up to bring to the event. Would like to see a number of cars there if possible. Remember gas is down a bit now, and most of the driving to get there for many is on the interstates. Hope to see you all there!

Looks like we'll have about 25 members at the East Coast Chapter Meet this upcoming week. I hope some cars (HINT HINT). Also weather forecast looks good in the day, a bit chilly for this Southern boy at night in the upper 40's lower 50's, but nice for the day time. I'm making the final preparations and everything looks good. Everyone have a safe trip to Frederick and I'll see you there.

Hi All.....

Cathy & I will arrive on Wednesday, got the car in the trailer, so we will be ready!!

See y'all next week......

frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Hey southern boy, do you want us to bring winter coats for you, along with gloves and a scarf? We have extras, just let us know.

Peg and I will be heading down on Thursday and towing Ed along with us. We should be arriving by 5 pm, and I have several brewpubs and tap houses on the list for dinner.

see you in a few days

charlie and peg

Where Are You From? NJ & CA

Peg and I, along with Ed will be heading south shortly after lunch today to Frederick, MD. We look forward to seeing the East Coast members later today.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes several

Tom and Karen, Lots of prayers being sent your way this weekend. You two were missed. It was good catching up with each other, and Cathy brought your email. We all hope everything goes well with your son!

Where Are You From? NJ and San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4 1928-31

Photos taken at the East Coast Meet

Those of you that would like me to send photos that I took of you/spouse/etc or any of the group photos, please send me your email address (wlbjayhawk@aol.com).

I will try to get them to you this week

Peg and I enjoyed the meeting and the places that we visited, and look forward to seeing all of you in Minneapolis in September

charlie

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club