Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stuck Clutch on 1923 Dort

I have a 1923 Dort which the clutch will not disengage from the transmission despite having the clutch plates separated. The photo describes the issue: The Flywheel Drive Pin (1) drives the Clutch Plates (2). The Middle Clutch Plate slides onthe three Clutch Pins (3) - which connects the front and back of the pressure plates. Because all three are connected the whole housing turns no matter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged. All the clutch plates move freely between the pressure plates. I've also tried freeing the clutch by applying the brakes with the clutch engaged with the back wheels elevated. Note: the vehicle last run 30 yrs ago and mice did build a next inside the flywheel housing - which I've cleaned. Any input would be really helpful, Thanks!

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Stuck Clutch on 1923 Dort

If you are mechanically inclined and want to do it right, drop the transmission, remove the clutch, and clean/wire wheel all the stuck/rusted mating parts that have to do with the clutch assembly. Wire wheel and white lube the drive pins and linkages.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Jon .. I referred your question to my friend Rick in NB with a 1919 Dort touring. He in turn sent it on to the Gray Dort / Dort expert for me. Stan tried to respond here but it wouldn't let him. This is Stan's reply to him, and Rick to me. As you can see Stan would like to hear the results. Anything related to the Gray Dort / Dort, Stan is the expert.

Hi Rick. I tried the reply button but it did not respond. Those three clutch discs stay in rotation with the flywheel (they have the friction surfaces attached to them). In between them, there are two metal plates that are splined to the transmission input shaft (I can't see them in the photo). If you push the clutch pedal in (with trans in neutral), those two steel plates should be able to be turned easily; the castings sandwiching all of this assembly are also splined to the input shaft and should also turn with the plates. If all that appears to be working, then it is possible that the tip of the trans input shaft, that pokes into a hole in the center of the flywheel, is rusted and seized up from the corrosive action of the rodent urine. Please keep me posted. Is this the Dort touring car # 100553? We spoke a number of years ago. Waiting to hear what is discovered. Stan Uher, Blenheim, Ontario, Canada.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Jon,
I have a similar clutch setup on my '23 Model R Hupmobile which would not release...It takes very little for driven plates to hang up on the drive pins.... For what it is worth try this, cut a prop stick to hold your clutch in fully released position with clutch petal fully down you should be able with a narrow screwdriver to turn clutch discs with transmission in gear, if not shift drive plates sideways until clutch discs are free and will rotate...If your clutch discs will then rotate chances are that your problem is rust and corrosion on the three drive pins....In my case I was able to shift the driven plates and with a sharp narrow chizzel remove rust from the pins and then carefully shot some graphite lube on the pins....Anyway, It worked for me.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Bill Hoaglan
Jon,
I have a similar clutch setup on my '23 Model R Hupmobile which would not release...It takes very little for driven plates to hang up on the drive pins.... For what it is worth try this, cut a prop stick to hold your clutch in fully released position with clutch petal fully down you should be able with a narrow screwdriver to turn clutch discs with transmission in gear, if not shift drive plates sideways until clutch discs are free and will rotate...If your clutch discs will then rotate chances are that your problem is rust and corrosion on the three drive pins....In my case I was able to shift the driven plates and with a sharp narrow chizzel remove rust from the pins and then carefully shot some graphite lube on the pins....Anyway, It worked for me.

(With Transmission out of gear)

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Thank You!!!!! Yes this is car #100853. When you mentioned their are two metal plates between the three clutch disks I was confused because I only saw three clutch plates and no metal plates. I took another look and I did notice that the middle clutch plate was wider than the two outside plates. I poked around at the middle plate and did see it had metal fused on both sides. This metal surrounding was so tight, I thought is had to be riveted to the friction material. I then used a knife to gently pry at it thinking no way will these separate and I might ruin the friction material. To my amazement, they started pulling apart! Now the three clutch disks are independent of the drive plates which attach to the transmission. I never would have thought these plates drove the transmission.

Thank you to everyone who posted and helped me out on this. This car was originally sold by my grandfather in the 30's to a farmer who used it as a farm truck. It was late bought back from my dad in the 60's and partially restored. My Dad passed away a year ago, and he always wanted to get this car running again. Now we'll have a shot at it.

Jon

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Great Jon I will let Stan know and send you his email should you have additional problems. As mentioned from what I was told Stan is THE man to ask about Dort and Gray Dort.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club