Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking at a Durant for sale

I am looking at a 1930 4 cylinder Durant that is all original and in good condition. It runs well, shifts, stops, and the interior is still in good shape. The body is straight and in good shape with just a little rust. The man id asking $9,000 for it. NADA Classics does not offer a guide because there are not enough of these cars around to give a price guide for them. Can anyone give me some idea if this is a good buy or, if not, what general range I should negotiate towards. I really like the looks of the car and would love to have it if I can get it at a good value. If I do, I will, of course, be joining the club and asking you folks a lot of questions probably. Gene

Where Are You From? NE TN

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

Re: Looking at a Durant for sale

Gene House
I am looking at a 1930 4 cylinder Durant that is all original and in good condition. It runs well, shifts, stops, and the interior is still in good shape. The body is straight and in good shape with just a little rust. The man id asking $9,000 for it. NADA Classics does not offer a guide because there are not enough of these cars around to give a price guide for them. Can anyone give me some idea if this is a good buy or, if not, what general range I should negotiate towards. I really like the looks of the car and would love to have it if I can get it at a good value. If I do, I will, of course, be joining the club and asking you folks a lot of questions probably. Gene
It sounds like a car that you can just drive and enjoy as it sits. I would say that 9 grand is at the top of the market for a car as you described, but if you can just clean it up and make sure it is mechanically sound you have a car in the "preserved" class. You can not put any money into this car and expect to get it back. It all depends on the body type for value. A cute little collegiate roadster will be worth more than a 4 door sedan. The 4 cylinder 4-07 models were built after the sixes were in production. The reason was due to "increased demand" for a 4 cylinder car, everything else being essentially the same. Using the grading system some publications use I'd say the the car would be "well sold" at 9K. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Gene;
I sent you a private email also, but do you have any pictures on information on the car. Might have been in the club before and we'll know the history.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Thanks for the information. I am really hoping to be able to buy it around $7,000 as that is very close to my budget at this time for a driver. But, the more I look at the car the more I fall in love with it. I just have to mot let myself make an emotional decision and spend more money than I should this time of year. It is just hard to be dispassionate about something that comes so close to what you have been looking for for a long time after having it in the past and having to sell it.
To make a long story short, a few years ago I was able to buy a 39 Packard Super 8, a CCCA Classic, at a very, very good price. My wife's job situation became unsupportable and she was offered her old job back so we decided to lose a lot of money and move. We ended up with three house payments and not much coming in for close to a year. Since the situation changed so dramatically I was forced to sell it plus my other vintage cars. We have recently sold one of the houses and have the other leased out on a long-term lease.
Things are really looking up and I promised myself another car from the 30s. I have been looking for one that really appealed to me and this one just jumped out and grabbed me and said, "Here I am!". :-) Now I am trying to make it happen in an affordable way.
Thanks again for your help!
Gene
%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet but hoping!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club