Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marvel Schebler Carburetor

Hi all.

I have been working on the car most of the summer trying to get it up to regular running condition. I had it started last year for short periods. There was no radiator so I couldn't keep it running. The radiator was replaced this year and is hooked up now, so I was trying to get it started.

Long story short, It turns over, and will start sporadically with quick start sprayed in the carburetor, but it's not getting the gas. Gas does appear to be getting to the vacuum tank, whether it's enough or not I couldn't say. I don't think it's going through with any force or conviction between the vacuum tank and the carb however, for whatever reason. There was a bit of gas in that brass pipe, and a little bit sitting in the bottom of the carb as well, but not as much as I was expecting if it were really drawing it in.

So I started with the thought of cleaning up the carburetor and broke out the repair manual, just to notice that my carb isn't the one in the manual. It's a Marvel Schebler carb. Being a Durant I couldn't guarantee this is the one that came with it or not. Either way, I have found great reference on youtube for servicing these and they still appear to have the repair kits etc, but I was wondering if there was anyone else out there with the same carb on their car? (as an original or otherwise.) Should I be watching for a tillotson carb to come up on ebay? Ifso, what model should I be getting for this year (or the 1929 as most of the parts on this car are 1929 parts, the model was near the end of production.)

Oh, also, if I turn the valve at the bottom of the vacuum tank on with the pipe off, gas does pour out, not a blasting stream, but steady. I am thinking it's either vacuum issue or something between the tank and engine.
Thanks all.

Gerald.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Re: Marvel Schebler Carburetor

Not sure it helps you but carb king found under Links on the menu says Tillotson R4A for M2 He also shows R6A for the 40 and SP-26A

Aftermarket says M, M2, S2, S4, X, X2, 40, 401 $8.95 each
Further down it muddies it more.

Carburetor Throttle Shafts
L, M2, 65, 40, S4, 401 using R4A or R6A Type Carb

Carburetor Throttle Shutters
M2, X2, 40, 401 using R6A Type Carb

Sounds like the M2 could use either carb R4A or R6A, like our 22A engines had U2, W8A, J4A, J5A. Its like mine shows W8A but aftermarket says those models using J4A which mine has. Interesting looking at Jon's listing (carb king) the non existent 1932 621 / 622 models using 22A was to have used the J4A. Guess they were used on the Feb 32 E-670 Frontenac's and 614 Durant's.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Should have added Frank sells the new Zenith replacement carbs that fit the 28 / 29's.

(Hope Rick changes the awful new authorization code to post, soon that works and doesn't work)

Hi Norm,

Thanks about the Zenith, I think I will stick with this one for now, but get an original if one comes available. The model you mentioned, is that for the 1928 M2 or the 1929, Can I get both numbers if possible? (More options for me is a good thing)

I had seen the Zenith one in my searches, I hadn't paid close attention, at some point I may get one for a backup.

It would be nice to have a sign in name, then post without having to do authentication every time :)

Gerald.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Replacement carbs is on the tech page but last section about motor size is incorrect.
Indicates 22A at bottom is for 32 Frontenac as 214.7 That should read 32A used 1932 Feb 618 Durant and Mar 685 Frontenac. The 1932 Feb E670 Frontenac used the 22A same as the 1931 E618 Frontenac and 30 - 32 614 Durant's.
However lets not keep things the same. 32A on the 618 Durant used J6A and the 685 Frontenac used J7A carbs.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club