Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interior Roof

The interior roof fabric on my 1929 Durant Model 666 is sagging. It is original and very very fragile. Any suggestions on how to reattach it to the top or other ways to de-sag it?

Where Are You From? New York

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Model 666

Re: Interior Roof

Alex
You might have to stop by an auto upholstery place in your area to see what they suggest. Most of these headliners were made of a cotton fabric that over time and moister would stretch and deteriorate. If it's fragile it might not take it, but the only way is to unattach it and pull it tighter. These were usually put up with nails so depending on how fragile the fabric is now whether it will stay in one piece.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Thanks Mike --- My car is on an island in Maine and runs like a top. Never restored. Am very worried about how fragile the fabric is. Perhaps I can attach something to the sides to gather the fabric and stretch it gently.

Where Are You From? New York

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Model 666

Alex, the cloth is rotten. All you can do with it is close the doors and Do Not Disturb.
Now, if you want to enjoy and drive the car, replace the headliner and all the windlace and be done with it. Besides, it will smell better!!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club