Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Importing from Canada

Trailer info for towing a trailer in British Columbia

Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Go to
www.rvda.ca

for info on other provinces

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star UXU6

Todd: we lug four different single and tandem axle trailers everywhere across Ontario and never have any problem. Some with, some without brakes. The authorities keep an eye out for and will stop any vehicle or trailer that is ratty looking and does not appear safe. If it looks neat tidy and safe, AND not visibly overloaded, no one will bother you. Two tips on the safety chains. Cross them, they look for that. And, the chains should not be on with "S" hooks. If police or MTO inspectors kick the chains, they cannot fall off the tow vehicle. We use chain hooks with keepers on them. Finally, you can travel at the same posted speed as a vehicle without a trailer behind it. It's clear sailing in Ontario and you will not have any problems. Bring lots of extra cash to feed the tax man when you buy fuel here, they like to keep gas prices high. Email or look my phone number up in the roster if you need help with anything in Ontario or have more questions.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/trailer.shtml

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yup

Thanks Don. I will make sure my rig doesn't look ratty or suspicious. It will be neatly tarped, etc. I learned the crossing-the-safety-chains trick a long time ago, so that won't be a problem. However, the trailer I am borrowing does have regular S hooks. I am wondering if I can cheat a bit (rather than put new chains/hooks on a borrowed trailer) and use some heavy wire to create my own 'keepers' on the Ss.

Two Ontario questions for you. You mentioned 'feeding the tax man'. How much should I expect to pay for fuel in Ontario? The conversion makes it slightly confusing to calculate (liters to gallons, C dollars to US dollar). Also, any tips on the best route through/around Mississauga/Toronto at evening rush hour?

Thanks for your help!
-Todd

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Todd, which way are you coming from and where are you going to ? I live in Mississauga and can help you get around it and Toronto which is a complete mess at any time of the day.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? No 1933 Frontenac C-400 made by Dominion Motors

I am coming from SE Michigan, probably through Windsor though it's hard to tell if it might be just a hair longer to up through Sarnia. I am going to Peterborough. I probably will not be able to leave Michigan until about noon.

My bro has a lawn / garden business up here in Ottawa and single axle trailer seems to sound much like his for hauling the mowers. We've used S hooks for years no problem.

Have fun exploring Peter Patch (Peterborough) when you get there. My grandfather used to own a confectionary / grocery store on George St in the late teens my aunt was born over. Store is still there but is now apartments.

Gas can be $1.32 in Ottawa a liter for regular and $1.19 a liter in Carleton Place / Innisville outside Ottawa. Have to also remember US gallon is different size to Imperial gallon. Just put Gas Price in search and it will ask you city / province http://www.ottawagasprices.com/

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Todd: Ah, you'll be fine. You'll have such a good trip here you won't want to go home. If you have the "S" hooks, securing them on with black wire so they cannot be kicked off will suffice. We've had MTO inspectors try kicking them off but wiring them on will qualify no problem. Besides, we cut visitors a bit of slack. Gas here is about $1.24 per litre in CAN$. Best figure about 4 of them in a US gallon, more or less. Yup, right around the $5 per gallon mark. But that is Canadian money and your money goes a tad further here when exchanged. Have a most enjoyable trip!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yup

I have returned from the great north with nary a scratch. I had no trouble crossing the border with my load, they didn't even want to see any of my paperwork! The biggest problem I had in my 1300+ mile return home was the time it took to explain the rig, and Durant in general, at every gas stop on the way home! I hope to have my engine in working order, ready for installation by spring. Thanks all for the helpful advice. Canada was in fact wonderful.
-Todd

Todd: Great to hear all went smoothly for you at border, and I hope my suggestions worked out to avoid traffic around the G.T.A. (Toronto). Did any of those other leads work out for you ??. If not it's still nice to know that you ended up with what you needed.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400 Dominion Motors Canada

Yes Steve, thank you for your Toronto traffic advice. Although I didn't bring as much back with me as I might have liked, I made some great contacts and it was a great opportunity to meet with fellow Durant owners like Jack & Mary Connor, Don Elliott, and Ralph Skinner.

Glad to hear everything went well. Since it was most enjoyable and you did not spend enough time here, be sure to mark your calendar for the annual DMAC meet here in Sept. 2016. We are only 1 hour north of Toronto, not quite a 3 hour drive from Buffalo or about 5 hours from the Detroit/Windsor border crossing. Get your friends planning ahead too with lots to see and enjoy here.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club