Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
car for sale on ebay

Hi new friends...I am the person who bought the car on ebay and have enjoyed reading your posts...I mostly collect 30-33 cadillacs but could not refuse a big sedan for the mony. I would like to know what the heck i bought...as i read some disscussion about the actual year. I am also going to join the club.

Where Are You From? rochester ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930-31 durant 4dr sd

Re: car for sale on ebay

Hi Bruce....

Welcome to the wonderful world of Durant products.

There should be a data plate attached to your car with it's information. This would either be nailed to the wooden floor boards near the gear shift or attached to the firewall under the hood. This will have the model and serial number or your car as well as the assembly plant.

Check out Durantcars tab to see if your car is listed in the registry. Some of the info there is outdated. Member Steve Large is working to update the info. Please share yours with him.

If you would like a couple back issues of our Club magazine, send me your mailing info. You can join the Club online or I will send a membership application.

We have a very knowledgeable and helpful group of "Durantonians" in the group. With your membership you also get access to members only information.

Welcome and enjoy your "new" Durant.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

Welcome Bruce! Looked like a really nice car and complete at that. Like Frank said one of the first things you need to do is head to the left side and join our group. Since these are a unique, not often seen marque, you need to join the club to deal with repair and restoration ideas and parts. Take Frank up on the offer to send you some past club magazines, you\'ll enjoy the reading. Also as you can see from our forum that we are getting ready for our Annual Meeting in the Salisbury, North Carolina area in mid September. Clear you schedule and come join us for 4 days of great Durant fun. Don\'t have to bring your car, just show up and meet everyone. We\'re not a snobby bunch and you\'ll meet some great new friends. Hope to see you there.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Was that the 1930 four door coach listed as a 1931 that came from PA orig ?
Ebay 371086186909

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 614 L-10356. If so the vin plate is a nice clean one in a pic on the toe board passenger side. Not a doubt its a 1930.

Lansing VINs 1930 L-1001 to L-30000

Yes Steve will want engine serial, casting dates for head, block if we haven't gotten that as well from seller during sale.

No its not in old durantcar Registry but is in the new one Steve's working on. Any hint of a car, feelers go out for its info to add to the New Registry, member or not.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Good morning all and thank you for the warm welcome !! I went to cincinatti this weekend and picked her up. The car was purchased new in philly pa by Florence H Lang.( her registration came with the car ) she sold it in 1959 to Lou Deater of oak ford pa and he sold it to this dealer in cinci...a few years ago...`After looking at all the info on this site...it appears the chassis was made in 1930....and sold in 1931 ( it has a 1931 hood ) But it was sold to her as a 31..I collect 26-33 cadillacs and have seen this before..especially in the 12 and 16 cal as the recession caused there to be a slowdown in sales. any ways i sent in my ck for a lifetime membership and have the numbers off the head and engine

vin # 614l10356
head 2-130-30 ( by distributor )
head front 22aa605 block is this number also

This car has a heater...did they have heaters that year ? goes into block so looks original..
Any car i find on ebay, hemmings etc....that is not a chevy,ford,dodge etc...and is an original solid car...i purchase so it doesn't turn into a hot rod !!!! If there is a member out there that wants to buy this car to restore..get in touch with me..and if you go to careylake.com you will see how much i like preserving our history.

Bruce H Carey 585-721-0495

Where Are You From? rochester ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930-31 durant 4dr sd

Hood have a 1930 piano hinge or chromed metal strip down the center, the hood sides slide in of the 31 / 32 ? From what I have seen all 614 coaches have the vertical louvers not the spears. A dealer option on regular 1930 614's was switching the spear hoods for vertical louvers in a few instances.
Spear hood was only the 1930 614 standard models, coaches / blind backs were not common issue. 407, 610, 611, 612 etc models had vertical louvers.

Yes common practice that cars are registered in year of sale not year of production.

Heaters are aftermarket additions by various companies. I removed all hoses and pipes from my 32, someone had added in its past.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Bruce, thanks again for picking this up and saving it from the dreaded hot rodders. Give it some time and maybe a member will pick it up from you to restore. The club always has a few cars available for sale and knows where to get their hands on them. Yes as you said it seems many teens and twenties cars were titled as the year sold, not the year manufactured. The whole title things was new to many states and some never had them till later, just a bill of sale.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club