Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1925 H-40 Flint Brake info

Anyone have any Information on the brake adjustment procedure for a '25 Flint H-40 having mechanical brakes, this car's brakes are the double shoe type (locomotive?) the brake linkage has an evener to ballance right and left brake cross shafts, it also has some type of rotary eveners to ballance front to rear brakes.

Thanks

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, several

Re: 1925 H-40 Flint Brake info

Check out my article in the technical section on adjusting the brakes on my 25 Star. Let me know if you have any questions.

Vince

Where Are You From? Greenbrae, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Thanks Vince, Good article and very helpful....The Locomotive brakes on this H-40 Flint seam to be nearly the same that are on the Star but perhaps a little larger...My problem is that my brakes are not working much better after installing new woven semi-metalic non-asbestos lining then they were before when the brakes were down on the rivets...What type of brake lining are you folks using with Locomotive brakes and how well can they be expected to work...I cannot make my brakes skid on a gravel road, Is that the norm for locomotive brakes? I believe that a locomotive could stop faster carring 100 boxcars than this Flint.

I can skid on gravel and make a hard stop on pavement (but no skid).

There should also be an internal shoe. Did you reline it?

Where Are You From? Greenbrae, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Yep, I relined all inner and outer shoes with what McMasters are now supplying, McMasters no longer are supplying the "Green Gripper" lining made by Scan Pac that we got in the past and this is the first time trying this Brown woven lining, although it does list a good friction rating...The lining was 3/16" by 1 3/4" and I believe the thickness required for the Flint/Star is 5/32" the brakes were tight on assembly so needed to remove a small amount of material, I later figured a way to ark the lining to the drums to form a perfict contact, however one thing of concern is that someone in the past has fabricated on inner and one outer brake shoe by reconfiguring a more modern steel brake shoe to replace the original cast aluminum shoes...I do have a soft or spongy brake pedal that doesn't seam to get much better with usage or adjustment as you might expect with new lining (something flexing?)(anyone by chance have one inner and one outer H-40 Flint brake shoe they would sell?)

Thanks

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Well, my brake problem did turn out to be a pair of brake shoes that I should not have used, also found one of the originals was cracked threw the mounting hole....Ended up sand casting a new set of shoes and replaced the ones on the rear axle, seams to be stopping fairly good now.

\"

\"

\"

Will try again.

photo bb63b8df-690f-40d0-8824-d08284a7134b_zps952cc455.jpg

photo 338a524d-ed60-4084-930b-bf776f0b88a9_zps69a1615f.jpg

photo 053c235a-dc1c-44df-92dc-5480ea264fe0_zps3e9246be.jpg