​​​​​​​

Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures 

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steeldraulic Breaks

Does anyone have a back issue of Skinned Knuckles #449 (Dec 13) or #450 (Jan 14) it has an article on “steeldraulics”? I would like to have a copy. I had an incident where the breaks on my 614 faded while going downhill and trying to stop. I am looking to adjust or replace the breaks and want to learn as much as I can before starting.
The tech pages on the Durant website are missing some pictures (Fig. S2 S7, S8, S9) that are referenced in the instructions. If anyone knows where to find these it would help!
Thanks – Don

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-14 Deluxe Sedan

Re: Steeldraulic Breaks

Hi Don.....

I can scan and send you the 10 pages of instructions on adjusting Steeldraulic brakes that are in my Durant Service Manual.

Should answer most of your questions. Has lots of illustrations also....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

The fading is from our soft old style brake drums. Get a set of the non fade brake drum bands from Macs Model "A" parts supplier 4 bands only little over $100.00 or can buy individually from Snyders model "A" supplier. You have to have these brake drum bands on all older cars to have brake pedal going down hills. Actually very dangerous not to have them. The model "A" band may need to be altered but don't worry any welding shop can install them. Have to have them heat them way up for expansion to get them on. I put 2 bands on each drum on Ricks 29 Roadster and he drives as fast as he wants now and stops on a dime as I do. Course he has the deluxe wire wheels that the drum will take 2 but our wood wheel drums will only take one per drum. And yes the drum has to be taken off the wood wheel. No biggie. And u can use the stock old style cool designed carriage bolts over again. Done it all my life.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

Frank: If you would copy and send the info you have to igetnrd@gmail.com I would appreciate it very much.

Lance: I will look into the bands as a safety add-on.

Thanks - Don

Hi All.....

I have scanned the 10 pages and can email to anyone who would like a copy.

Send me an email and I will attach and return....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

Thanks Frank, I downloaded all 10 pages - Don

If you can send me that info you have on Steeldraulic brakes, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

—Roger

Where Are You From? Scranton, Pa.

Re: Steeldraulic Brakes

I would like a copy Frank , thank you.
Jack Wright

Where Are You From? Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 standard sedan

If anyone else would like a copy I can email you a scan from the service manual.
Send me an email and I will reply with the scan attached.
Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many

I would very much like to have the info on Steeldyraulic brake thanks

Where Are You From? ithaca ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 durant ,locomobile jr 8

The Durant Motors Automobile Club