Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Bumper.

Hi everyone.

So I am waiting for my newly fabricated radiator to arrive this week, I am looking into the missing front bumper on my car.

This car was very close to the 1929 production line of M2's, and as such had some parts on it that were 1929. I'm not sure whether the bumpers were earlier or later. I only have the back ones to go off of.

The front...well I think they are supposed to be bumper support beams, but I'm not sure as I haven't seen anything like them in the pictures of 1928 or 1929 pictures, are two separate pieces that come out to the left and right, and have 180 degree curls at the end. I have links to pictures of the rear and front supports.

Can people here send me good clear pictures of their 1928 / 1929 bumpers and pieces that are holding them on to the car? If I can't find anything similar, I am going to have to have them fabricated.
(you can email to gfeather@gmail.com)
 photo bumper2.jpg

photo Bumper.jpg

Thanks!

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2

Re: Front Bumper.

Hi Gerald
Just so happens I have my car down to the frame and will take pictures later today of the mounting bracket area and the front bumper. My car is a 1928 Model 65 but I'm sure the bumper is probably similar to what you need.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Thanks, That would be great!

G.

Gerald my friend .. we have discussed this before. The bar you have is 180 from where it should be. Look at Justin Schiess M2 in Photographs. Rear ones are same as yours and front piece you have is one half the backing bar or one side. You need same thing other side. The end clamped to the frame piece is where the vertical end bumper bolt goes to hold top and bottom bar with same bolt. The other hole in the flat part holds the bumper medallion against the twin bumper bars exactly the same as Justin's has. Someone has put your bar on backwards and 180. The bottom of the J holds the twin bars out the same distance the end of the twin bars bends in with.
There is no bumper backing bar between the frame horns like the single center medallion ones have

Mikes 65 has a single medallion with full backing bar so not the same thing per durantcar pic of a 65. Also the 65 has center cut down the twin bars and yours are plain like the rear ones.
Franks 63 has the plain bars but full backing again with center medallion.

And yes different medallions for different models and years. My 32 medallion is nothing like the US 619, or 31 614. 31 614 twin bar crest like medallion, 32 one bar and diamond like medallion. 619 one bar different medallion and end of bumper is not open where end bolt goes, 32 614 / 618 end of bumper open both ends for the bolt. Like we say no two cars the same, even same model.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Norm,

I know I have discussed this once when I was considering it was missing, but I couldn't remember much of what was said. Model numbers and years are unfortunately not going to help me in this case. I need pictures of something similar to my back bumpers to get the look right when we make them. I have severe doubts I will find one online. The only one I have found is on craigslist, and has a D badge in the center. It doesn't look similar to the rear bumpers either. I am trying to get a feel for dimensions, where it bends, how it attaches to the car so we can reproduce it. I wish I had draft plans for the bumper :).

If Justin Schiess is on here? Maybe he can posts many detailed pics as well? Showing all pieces and orthographic views of the bumper with dimensions? I would like to make it as close as possible to whatever is supposed to be on the car. I would really like to see how those two pieces of metal fit into the picture. I can't visualize how that would look flipped around with those two huge 180 degree loops at the end.

sometime next week I will have a radiator. yay. big step forward.

Thanks to whomever posts pics.

Hi Gerald

Just think of two single fish hooks lying in a straight line with bottom of J touching and then pull part so a space between. The barbed end on both of the J's (hooks) are away from the car and pointing left and right away from each other. The leader end of hooks have the upright bolt hole.

Its medallion to twin bars, an upright backing plate behind bars to act as clamp, when tightened, then the J with hole on flat part, washer and nut. Same both J's. Whole unit is then put on the front frame horns in the clamps there to hold full bumper.

D medallion is not your model.

Think you know that much already. Cheat and use a 30 / 31 Chevy bumper like my old 31 Chevy canopy express truck had. ha ha Wish I still owned it and not now as a sales stand in a store in Hawaii selling sunglasses to surfers. That's what the 1930 407 has up Pembroke way has for decades on that car.

photo 1931chev.jpg

Not having any luck finding a Justin Schiess in search and not on DMAC Roster back to 2006.

I found Justin ******* information on a 2004 Roster. phone # 716-244-4188 e-mail JFSSCH@aol.com his address is 966 Meigs Street Rochester New York 14820 Hope you can find him with the above info. Ten year old info isn't always good, but at least it's a starting point. You should check the current Roster for more up to date owners of similar vehicles. Good Luck

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400

Hi Gerald....

Pictures of the bumpers on my coupe.

hope this helps.....

Frank ---

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/witfrank/slideshow/Durant%20bumper

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 19 and counting

That actually helps a lot. I was trying to picture exactly in my mind how those pieces norm had told me were backwards were to attach to the bumper and I couldn't quite see it. Now it makes perfect sense. Your's are similar to mine, though mine at the back don't have a long piece that goes under the gas tank. they come directly off the frame on the two sides.

Thanks so much for those photos!

Now just to find one or make one.

Gerald.

Thanks Frank ....

Now you can see what I meant about fish hooks idea .. Gerald. I was going to draw you a picture and send via my reg mail to you but its been years since taking the drafting course at High School when I could draw a straight line. Graduated top of the class but Fed Govmt put a freeze on hiring. Even my half brother, couldn't get me in the drafting part of the Gov where he was manager, so I temporary went to MetLife HO until freeze was over. 36 1/2 years later, ha ha, I retired from Met as Tax Consultant. Never did get to use the drafting.

Hello Gerald,

Have you found the front bumper you'er lookin for....I have a two bar front bumper (flat style) that I think is either a M-4 or a 40 that would match up with your rear bumperetts...The bars are slightly sprung but should tweek back into alignment easily...If this is anything you might be interested in we will be headquartered in Mt. Vernon just south of Langly the 18 of July for about 5 days, the WOKR club is holding their national event in this area, we also plan to take our cars up to Friday Harbour on San Juan Island....Anyway, I could bring this bumper to Mt. Vernon or you are welcome to pick it up here in Leavenworth.

photo 44609d4c-b048-4d7d-b4a2-9782839d290e_zps4bcf8847.jpg

photo 0e31ef1e-73ee-4a4c-bff6-251b3cc073ad_zpsb7201688.jpg

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club