Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help: clutch throwout bearing part number

Does anyone know the part number for the throwout bearing for a 1930 614 with the 6 cylinder engine/trans?

The bearing in there now is not the right bearing since the cast flange on the back is much narrower than the clutch fork (I think it might be a bearing for a 4 cylinder rather than a 6 cylinder Durant).

If you know the correct part number (or have an extra bearing), please let me know as I can not drive my 614 until I get a replacement bearing.

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Help: clutch throwout bearing part number

Bob Bush
Does anyone know the part number for the throwout bearing for a 1930 614 with the 6 cylinder engine/trans?

The bearing in there now is not the right bearing since the cast flange on the back is much narrower than the clutch fork (I think it might be a bearing for a 4 cylinder rather than a 6 cylinder Durant).

If you know the correct part number (or have an extra bearing), please let me know as I can not drive my 614 until I get a replacement bearing.
Bob-I have a part number for a Nice throwout bearing of N-286, supercedes #4937, which fit several cars of the era, all about as obscure as our Durant. The bearing presses onto the cast iron carrier that slides on the nose shaft of the transmission. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Thanks to Frank, Charlie and Ross for providing part numbers to help me. Unfortunately I was not able to find a new bearing using those numbers.

However, my luck changed for the better while digging through a box of junk that came with the car: I found the original clutch bearing assembly (the bearing and the cast iron flange). It had a BCA number of 1029. Unfortunately, when I called tech support at the BCA division of Federal Mogul, they had no info on this old bearing and do not make a bearing of the same dimensions today.

Although the original bearing was very rough and noisy, I wondered if it might be usable for a little longer. I cleaned it up, using a full can of Brakleen, squirting it directly into the groove in the flange which flushed into the inside of the bearing and out the front while I turned the bearing. The Brakleen pouring out the front finally ran clear indicating I had cleaned out the old oil and dirt. I then oiled the bearing with some 90 wt positraction gear oil that I use in the positraction differentials of my truck and my Corvette. Amazingly, the bearing now turns quietly and smoothly so I plan to put it back in and see how it performs.

The added good news is that George at Olcar Bearing was able to find a replacement bearing for me (actually two: one for me and one for Rick).

Now to see if the old original bearing is as good as I think it is.

Moral of this story: thank goodness for guys who do not throw away old, worn parts, and, try cleaning that old part: it may just be suffereing from the ravages of time and old gummy oil and dirt.

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Bob- sorry I missed your phone call, but I'm glad that you were able to get something going. The little hole in the floorboard that enables you to access the flip cap for the oiler tube that leads to the depression cast into the top of the throwout bearing cast iron carrier should be occasionally oiled also. Although it just lubricates the carrier flange sliding on the noseshaft of the transmission. Then connect the small spring that goes from the carrier to to front of the transmission to make sure the throwout bearing is completely pulled away from the clutch release fingers and keeps things quieter(all relative!). If your throwout bearing fails it's not too hard to pull it all apart.After all, you can change the clutch in the parking lot at a Durant meet(ask me how I know). Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club