Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Serial Number

It seems like I have been here before. I am trying again to get my car registered so I can license it and have ownwership papers for it. Each time the people involved say I need a serial number- etc. I am sure the only number I have found is a model number . What is the concensus on this??
All I have is a motor number-13910 . Where would I look to find any info on this car??
Thanks-
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops, B. C. Canada.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant- Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

Re: Serial Number

6-14 vin is on plate on passenger right toe board...has model #6-14 and serial# start with letter of plant like L=lansing or C=California..followed by number from 1001 thru several thousand....see ebay plates for sale..get a unused number and buy new plate from frank W and have number engraved on new plate from old plate with number not on car anymore...do not buy old plate..prices are ridiculous

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? star trg

Gary shame on you serial would have a T for Leaside. Ken probably had no floor boards from what I recall him saying about this car and condition. Parts of a few to make it whole again.

He might just as well get one of Gillis plates Frank has. Not sure if MOT / DOT would say anything if the engine number was added to a T as its serial. It would be like you hear of newer old cars where all serials match ?? I don't recall what Ron did with his 407, some part number I think. Perhaps a photo of Franks plate with the engine number and plate affixed to the toe board might work. Lad here in the 60's with a 29 Ford used the part number on the water pump and got the plates no problem. We used anything back then to get plates and was accepted. These are hobby cars not daily drivers and few left.

I had a heck of a time putting the 32 in my name and I had the 1981 ownership paper signed off, bill of sale etc. My plate is very easy to read. Wanted notary etc etc etc. I just said a the heck with you it can stay the way it is and walked out in frustration. Waited a few months and went to another branch instead. Couldn't have been easier and no questions at all. That will be $x fee and tax. I said how does one correct the VIN ? What do you mean ? I said ownership has an I but plate has a J. Just scribble it down on a piece of paper what you want and give to me. I did and its a J again on ownership in my name.

What Ken will need is a valuation of the car, which should have been done before any work done. That's what they base sales tax on, the higher of price paid or valuation given. There are certain people allowed to do valuation on rods and vintage cars. That I knew about before all the nonsense at first branch and took that with me to both first and second place. I was stupid and not gotten a low bill of sale or used two cheques for two receipts, one being a reasonable price, then used lower one. The lad here who did the appraisal price, was half of what I paid for the 32, so I paid tax on the larger. Cost me $150 plus more in tax than appraisal value.

Form they use is called Declaration Vehicle Appraisal Record .. Used Vehicle Information Program, in Ont. Ministry of Finance. Each Province is different. I would check with your MOT to see exactly what they want. This below doesn't seem to cover it when no ownership.

Finalizing a Private Used Car Sale - CarProof

https://www.carproof.com/car-advice/buying/finalizing-a-private-used-car-sale

In order to transfer the ownership of a used vehicle in British Columbia, the seller must .... a vehicle valuation guide), a completed and signed insurance declaration ... guide) value of the vehicle and any outstanding fines on the buyer's record.

They can drive you nuts at MOT / DOT. I tried to register a 1909 Ford I built from parts from all over the countryside in the 60's. Never did get it done and sold it. Wanted to know why it had no windshield wiper as one complaint. I said cars did and didn't have windshields back then and sure no wipers if it did. Bulb horn is not acceptable. I thought what would you like me to do, moo like a cow instead ? And so it went, until I just left shaking my head. Now if I try to register that car built from parts its considered a new car and subject to everything a new car has to have. Can you see a catalytic converter on a T exhaust ? Emissions testing based on ?? Just baffles the mind.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Ken as keeper of the Durant Registry I would like to toss in my 2 cents worth. I suggest you buy a new Leaside I.D. plate from Frank if he has them if not a Lansing or California would still be considered correct for the period and have the numbers you choose stamped in it starting with the capital letter T The range of correct Canadian serial numbers for your 1930 model 614 are #T- 1001 to T- 4269 When you decide on which numbers you want to use please contact me before you have them stamped on the plate so I can check the registry and make sure your not using numbers all ready registered. stevelarge@rogers.com or phone 905-271-3669 Hope this will help in your getting this car licensed.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C - 400

Ken, Steve -& Norm

Don't forget, Ken is in British Columbia. You are talking about Ontario MOT DOT rules. I don't think that BC has the same rules as ONT. However, I think it is good advice to get a plate from Frank, and come up with a number checked out by Steve and go with that. Ken, if you read "Old Autos" there are several columnists from the Vancouver region. I am sure they would know the local rules and how to get a number registered. Better to talk to someone before you go into the local office.
Hope it is warmer out your way than in Ontario.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Frank had the Leaside T plates as Tim Orr got one he was going to put on the 633.

Seems you have to deal with Autoplan broker in BC. Might not be same as Ont but a lot is along the same idea. Forms, tax, safety.

ttp://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/register-vehicle

Even tells you how to apply for a vin if its missing. Lower ins for vintage vehicle etc.

Might save a lot of headaches going Steve's way and having a plate made up with a vin before hitting Autoplan to register, but remember not all 1930 Durant's are in the Registry or DMAC members. Serial could be already in use. Just tossing that out.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club