Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taxi Cab Request

Does anyone know if Durants/Star automobile where every used as taxicabs in any US city and if so does anyone have photos or some proof, really important for a donation to the United State Taxi Museum.

Where Are You From? Los Angeles/New York

Re: Taxi Cab Request

At our East Coast meet in Virginia, we visited a museum that had a documented taxi. I think it was a Star. Maybe someone has a picture from that museum.

I think there was also a taxi in New England, but not sure if it was authentic.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? A few

Hi Laurence;
If you go to our Virtual Museum on the left and go to the photograph section, item number 2013-2-35 is a photograph from the Durant's Standard magazine of a 1923 Star Taxi with the driver standing nearby. At the Roaring-Twenties Antique Car Museum in Madison, Virginia, not far from Luray is a 1925 Star Taxi painted blue with a yellow stripe. You can go to their web site at www.roaring-twenties.com and go to their photograph section and click on the photo on the left side of the four. 2nd car in is the Star, although you can't really see the whole car it was a documented taxi I believe somewhere in Maryland. Maybe you can call them and see if they have a better picture of it. There is a Durant taxi in New England like Frank said, but to my knowledge it is not originally a taxi but a conversion by a later owner. The last time I saw it was in the garage of Wayne Carrini from the TV show Chasing Classic Cars. About two years ago in an episode there was a pan shot and the Durant Taxi was visible in the scene. It was made from a 1930 Model 614 and is owned by one of our club members, related to Billy Durant. I'll keep checking and see if I can find out anything else on the commercial use of the Durant and Stars.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Thanks so much, I am based in Los Angeles and Las Vegas but the museum we are planning will be in New York City.

Where Are You From? Los Angeles/New York

I would think most makes had taxi cabs or used as taxi's. A deceased member of AACO had one of two 1928 Diana Moon straight 8 deluxe sedans used in Ottawa as a taxi's. That was some 3 ton car with its artillery spoke wheels. Rad mascot of Diana itself was a few pounds.

There's a 60 used as a cop car just putting Durant taxi in google images of taxi's. Frank even commented on it 2007. Looks more like a 1930 407 with the 30-32 body, division in hood louvers, sun visor of 30-32, flat rad and cap, bumper, artillery wheels, handles on the moulding not flat on door of the 28 /29, droopy rear one sure is typical 30. Hub caps seem 30 Durant crest type with red / black in the crest. 28 / 29 topping comes down to doors, 30-32 metal over doors and center of roof only with topping. Check pic's in Durantcar or photos section of DMAC for 60's. Steve here has a restored 60.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_58553-Durant-6-60-1929.html

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club