Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: De Vaux totals

hello steve ill try to get the pics this weekend of my 2 devauxs a 31 coupe and a 32 coupe dave

Where Are You From? SO CALIF

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DEVAUX

Dave do you have the Hayes body tags / numbers drivers side firewall in engine compartment for Steve ??? VINs and anything else we can use.
Thanks.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Dave that would be great to get the correct info, it's getting tuffer these days to get original details that can verify a vehicle so it can be registered properly for historical researchers. Again Thanks.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400

You can't be sure that a manufacturer stuck with a serial number sequence.
Maybe they bumped it up to the next 1000 at the beginning of each month, or when they made a running change. It wasn't unheard of that they would skip numbers to mislead the competition on how many cars they actually built. It might be useful in negotiating parts prices if the vendors thought they could land a big order. It might help discourage recruiting of executives by other companies if they thought the company was still solid. Etc.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi All:
Sorry for the delay in getting to this post as I was pre-occupied with a medical problem.

I have always believed the cars produced in 1931 were 4609. The Serial numbers are 1001 to 5609. The 32 DeVaux's were only 1429. The Serial numbers were 5610 to 7038. As to the Serial numbers being higher than the production quantities, I believe they just jumped around and built in blocks of numbers. It even could have been driven by dealer orders. (We used a varation of that pattern to build airplanes unique to customer requirements).

I never knew the first production number for the Grand Rapids plant was 1009 but in thinking back to information that Howard gave to me this could make sense. Howard showed me a picture of a car "given" to the Mayor of Grand Rapids. This was a two door with shortened body and a large trunk box. Also he believed that custom panel trucks were made on special orders. This could account for 1001 thru 1008.

I can't figure out the Hayes body numbering system. For 1931: 150-xxxx, 151-, 152-, and even one 153-xxxx in California. For 1932, Hayes numbers are 168-xxxx and 170-xxxx. I don't have any picture of the Hayes body tag but I hope Dave can supply one.

By the way, Phaeton numbers might be in the Oakland serial numbers. Phaeton's were only exported out of the Oakland plant. Howard gave me a picture of created DeVaux's being shipped to the "Holy Land". These were special ordered by a dealer in Lebanon. Most Phaetons went to Asia. Not sure if any went to Australia but if DeVaux's were sent there it would have been without bodies.

Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Hi Gary .. not sure anyone knows correct numbers when Oakland vins are missing in all vin books for De Vaux and some Durant's.

I'm seeing the same numbers you quote for 31 and 32 in a Canadian vin book but indicated under Frontenac ?? 1932 6-70 has Leaside G-1001 end unknown, and 6-75 Detroit 1001- 5609. Next batch is under 6-85 Leaside K-1001 - K-1217 and 6-80 Detroit 5610 - 7038. Next batch is 6-85 only K-1217 end unknown but we know it was K 1300 from research.

I don't believe Oakland numbers are known for De Vaux. Reason being Oakland is mentioned for 29 models like 40, 60, 63, 70. 614 only for 1930 but we know the other models were made there like the 407 which became 612, and 610 was brought out as companion to the 612. Then Dec 17 1930 Oakland stops all production. Lansing only continues US until summer 31. Oakland De Vaux's ???? and you have one.

Gillis and Terry are using the same numbers from VIN info available. Oakland and end numbers at plants are unknown or missing. Lance was saying similar thing about Locomobile VIN's.

Here's a Hayes body tag
 photo 633Coup01.jpg

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hello guys, great great info you have here! I myself just found a 1931 DeVaux 675 Custom sitting in a back yard here in Huntington Beach, CA. It LOOKS 90% compete. I would love some info on this car, the serial number is i54-3120. I really need some help on this classic and try to find some parts, help with the process, wood kits, etc.

Thanks Brent!

Where Are You From? Huntington Beach, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? De Vaux Model 75 Sedan

Here's a link of a few pictures of the DeVaux....

Where Are You From? Huntington Beach, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? De Vaux Model 75 Sedan

Hi Brent:
It's great to hear of another DeVaux find! This proves they are still out there. I was forwarded your post on the AACA form and got a chance to look at the pictures. I want to thank Frank (our club President) for that.
I have been following the DeVaux marque for a long time now and did take over the DeVaux Registry some years back. I created the web site www.devauxregistry.com (thanks to Rick Botti). Look up to the "Links" and you can find the site. Connecting to the internet has proved to be very helpful in keeping track of cars. At first I thought there were only 20 or so cars out there but now I have 57...ops now 58 cars found.
Please contact me (garyyelle@msn.com),or thru the web page. I am going to try to match up your Hayes body number to the list of cars I have. Also, there is a "Car" number plate on the upper toe board on the passenger side. Your car would probably have a C-XXXX. If the floor boards are gone, you might have lost that way of identifying the car.
Other friends are as knowledgeable as I in the DeVaux research. Howard Reinke of Michigan and Dave Enrico in Southern California. Last year a DeVaux collector, Myron Cummings passed and 2 weeks ago another, Mike Larsen.

Thanks, Gary Yelle

Where Are You From? Washington State

The Durant Motors Automobile Club