Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rebuilding woodwork

I have been busy the last month or so rebuilding my car. I would be gratefull to get any tips I can on how to fit all the woodwork together and make it all come out even and line up nicely. I have managed to get the passenger side pretty good -but I am fighing to get the drivers side lined up --Is there a trick to this --or just keep trying till it falls into place.
Sure would be nice if there were patterns for this stuff. Guess I just keep trying and hopefully it will eventually fall into place.
If anyone has any tips I would sure like to hear them.
Thanks-
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant-Model 614

Re: rebuilding woodwork

Ken, one major thing to keep in mind is to make opposite parts exactly the same in reverse. Maintain symmetry at all cost and NEVER trim any metal work to fit the wood, trim or shim the wood. I think, in all cases, the metal covering was always fitted, nailed, or welded together over the wood frame. In restoration you will have to learn to work backward and even think backward in some cases.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

The Durant Motors Automobile Club