Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starter Motor Pinion gear

Hello all,

I am overhauling a spare starter motor for my '26 Mod.R Rugby tourer. I note however that it has a 10 tooth pinion, whereas the one currently on the car (which was also overhauled by me many many years ago) has an 11 tooth pinion. This is the first time i've noticed the difference. My question is, which one is correct? Both seem to engage fine in the flywheel ring gear, and I think over the years I may have even alternated between using the two versions, but I would assume one would be more correct than the other.

Coould I respectfully ask any fellow Model R owners to check their setup please? (at least our pinions are happy flapping about in the breeze and aren't hidden inside a bell-housing!)

Thanks in anticipation.

Rick

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - Mod R Rugby

Re: Starter Motor Pinion gear

Hi Rick,

The 10 tooth gear is from a 1929-31 Model A Ford, the 11 tooth gear is the original unit. Model Ford gears are plentiful and used as a substitute for many years. I use one on my 1929 Model 60. The original 11 tooth gear is the best if you can find one, but the 10 tooth will do until then.

Rick

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Re: Starter Motor Pinion gear

Many thanks for the response Rick. That is very helpful. Looks like I better start scanning the ground at swap meets for 11 tooth pinions to augment the solitary one I have.

Regards

Rick

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - Mod R Rugby

The Durant Motors Automobile Club