Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When did the rumble seat appear

I am curious...when did the first rumble seat appear? (for us and others)??

I know the first Dodge brothers car to have a rumble seat was 1927!

Ford, did it first appear with the Model A??

I'm thinking Durant Motors offered a rumble seat with both the Flint and Star before those two. Durant had a rumble seat when the 1928 models appeared!

How far back did the true rumble/truck go... I guess the truck as part of the body had to appear first??

What about a golf bag door... when/who started that?

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? three

Re: When did the rumble seat appear

In the 1899 dictionary "Century" the British refer to the rumble seat or dicky seat. I got that on Wikipedia ... HOW ABOUT THAT ?

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

IT HAD TO BE SOMETHING ABOUT ISOLATING...THE MOTHER IN LAW......

Where Are You From? penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? star touring

Both right and Mum referred to the rumble seat as Dicky being from England.

Wiki A rumble seat (American English), dicky seat, dickie seat or dickey seat (British English), also called mother-in-law seat, is an upholstered exterior seat which hinges or otherwise opens out from the rear deck of a pre-World War II automobile, and seats one or more passengers. An 1899 Century Dictionary describes a rumble as " A seat for servants in the rear of a carriage".
Among the last American-built cars with a rumble seat were the 1938 Chevrolet, the 1939 Ford and 1939 Dodge and Plymouth. The last British built car with a dickey seat was the Triumph 2000 Roadster made until 1949.

Must go way back in horse drawn carriages with the footman on the back for people of high standing. Or drivers of hansom cabs who sat behind the passengers perhaps ? Ford T's had mother in law seats as did cars before that.

Not finding much about golf bag doors, just a few mentions of car models in the 20's.

Would seem so Bob about Ford. Mac's has nothing pre A for rumble seat and my T book makes no mention. 1923 it says the coup had the rear compartment formed integrally with the body but the runabout retained the detachable compartment until 1926 style, so that it could be converted for commercial use. 1926 was the new bodies but no rumble seats.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Bob:
In 1956 (I believe) there was an option for a "rumble seat" in the Thunderbird. I have seen several instances of this. Don't think it was just a Canadian Option.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Lots of hits for it Gord

HAMB has this by Rusty O'Toole 2012
There was a rumble seat option for 55 - 57 T birds called a bird nest or some such, but it was not a factory option it was an aftermarket conversion. AMC built a Rambler show car with a "Ramble seat" in about 1964 but it was never seriously considered for production.

I'm going to say the last factory made rumble seat was 1936 or 37, any others were not made by the factory, at least not the same factory that made the car.
No web searches, life lines or reference books were used in concocting this post. I made it all up out of my head.

However just putting ... thunderbird with rumble seat ... seems to pull up lots 1957 only with birds nest.
This says the birds nest was installed before owner took delivery from Ford. Perhaps It was an after market addition ?

1957 Thunderbird from Wayne Davis Collection
www.packautomotivemuseum.com/c247.html‎
SELECT A MAKE · PACK AUTO GROUP · CONTACT US. 1957 Thunderbird Convertible w/Rumble Seat Vin Number: D7FH328697. Exterior Color: Bronze. C247.

Bob, looking at Durantcars it appears the 1926 Star R was first rumble seat and then 28 M2 Star and Durant had them.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club