Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Book by Don Marsh

I am looking for a book by Don Marsh -Tips on auto body woodworking . I was sure I had one but -like a lot of other stuff I own its gone missing. Does anyone have a copy they could print pages from to send me till I find mine//
Sure could use it now-
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B. C. Canada.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Book by Don Marsh

Hello Ken I will have to locate it, what pages are you looking for?

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? three

Ken I mentioned I bought that useless book. Hope your pc will receive all the pages ok in emails of 3 each.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Ken.....

You might also consider a copy of the Fisher Body Book. shows a lot of examples of wooden frame work body construction. Even has details on the roll up windshield as used on your car.

Considering Billy started GM, you may find it useful. Has been reprinted and does show up on eBay from time to time.

One think Jim G told me about wood frame work is that there is always a flat surface to lay out from, no matter how complicated the piece. Just look at some of the wood work he did on Cathy's Star roadster. Search the post "following a star"

Hope this helps........

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? A few

Frank do you know its name .. lots of hits in ebay and search on Fisher Body Manual. Is this it ?? 230806773027

I've heard that one is a better book for our 30 -32.

Ken,
I have the "Body by Fisher "book.
You are welcome to borrow it and make all the copies you need.
And you only have to drive 15 miles to get it.

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

Hi Norm.....

Yes that is the book on eBay. Mine has a different cover and says includes the 1932 supplement. Mine has 155 pages. I purchased it a long time ago.

Lots of good info on body work and upholstery also. Shows how it was done "back in the day".

Has info on doing the tops on closed cars, that we always get questions on.

Good reference book at a reasonable price.

See Y'all in North Carolina !!

Frank
---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes a few

Thanks Frank .. I have a book called Automotive Body and Fender Repairs by C.E.Packer second edition 1945, copy right 1939 and 1941, I found in a garage of a former body repair mechanic. Gives credit for assistance to Ed Budd Co, Buick Motor, Caddy Motor, Chev Motor, Desoto Motor, Dodge Motor, Fisher Body, Graham Paige, Packard Motor, Pontiac Motor, Studebaker Motor, Willy's Motor and a few other Co's, for his book, of 340 pages. That gives how to do the tops of closed cars, leather backs and convertibles in one section. Cleaning of Upholstery, Removing and replacing of headliners, fender repairs, welding, soldering, estimating cost of repairs, priming and surfacing, spraying lacquer, etc. Seems to be a soup to nuts for a body man. Lot of the pics are square bodied cars.

Glad I was able to spot and save the book as garage was being cleaned out.

Tells you this is a class A shop job. This will necessitate complete body, frame and refinishing service.
Looks more like a scrap metal write off to me.

photo Untitled-3.jpg

Thought I had already answered this post but --Guess not

Thanks Norm--got the pages okay and printed them Some help .
Will call Ken Hoshowski and check out his book. Something is bound to help me. It is slowly coming back together with My grandsons help.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club