Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WARNING - fake flash player required for this website, click download now - Don't Download!!

Subject:
Fake flash player required for this website, click download now

Question:
When I go to the DMAC website it says I need to download flash player.

Answer:
First I must say that no changes have been made to the website that will require you to download anything to access the website.

Unfortunately there is a new virus out there that looks at your browsing history and blocks you from entering sites you visit often. It will display a message something like:

"flash player required for this website, click download now"
Don't download anything!!

This Fake Adobe Flash Update Installs Ransomware and performs Click Fraud!

I have a test computer I reproduced this issue on.
I was only able to get the virus when using the Google Chrome browser, Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox worked fine.

To remove the virus I download and installed a paid program called Hitman Pro 3.7.

Even though this is not a free program, they do have a free 30-day trial when you run it for the first time. There are other programs out that should do this, but this one worked on my test computer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hitman_pro.html

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Re: WARNING - fake flash player required for this website, click download now - Don't Download!!

Rick, I got caught on that scam, I had clicked on it. when I tied to opened
up the DMAC site. I did not open or see your message about the scam.
It wouldn't let me open up anything on the DMAC site. He had to change
to another site getting away from Flash Player.
Thank goodness my son was able to get we back up.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Re: WARNING - fake flash player required for this website, click download now - Don't Download!!

Not sure how I fixed it but I'm able to access the site again.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

I thought I fixed it but didn't. Only seems to affect Home Page. I can google Durant Motors Forum and get here.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

I think the worst may behind us. All tests passed on my computers.
I was able to access the website without getting a fake flash player upgrade message. Some may have to clear their web browser's temp files, but so far so good.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California

Hi Rick,

As I am getting the message were do I find the temp directory in order to delete the problem.

Regards,

Ted

Where Are You From? Aranda, ACT, Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Ted,

Here is a link to tell you how delete temps files in Internet explore.
Other browsers do it pretty much in the same manner.

It's simple really, from the I.E. toolbar click Tools> Internet Options> in the browsing history section click the delete button.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/deltempintfilesie.htm

Rick

Thanks Rick for the information, I was finally able to get rid of the problem!

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Thanks Rick and now the problem has been fixed.
Regards,Ted

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 3, D60 - 1929/30,D65 - 1928 and D63 - 1928?

Rick .. wouldn't disk clean up do the same thing ? Computer > Local Disk (C), right click > Properties ..Disk clean up and make sure both Temps are ticked and others you would like to get rid of. I do Tools > delete browsing history, in IE 11 often.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

There may be some files you don't want deleted, such as cookies that remember you login information for online merchants, etc. Deleteing just the browser temp files may save work down the road. Since all broswers save webpages to make loading faster the next time you access that site, deleting just those would be all yo uneed do to remove problem website pages.

BTW, I will be updating more files tonight, so the error messages should be gone by tommorrow, knock wood.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

Rick, The site my son set me up on ended up with that virus because
when I though that I cound now enter the DMAC site forum it transfered a virus. So now our Computor is in a repair shop for a cleaning.

Where Are You From? muskegon

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hey Rick
I wanted to "thank you" for all your hard work and many hours to fix this attack on our site. I know what it takes to solve these cyber attacks and the effort that goes into cleaning it up. I personally really appreciate it.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

The ransomware virus that has been reported has been removed by these two products.

1. Malwarebytes
2. SpyHunter

Frank reported Malwarebytes was used to clean his computer.
I used SpyHunter in May to remove a similar virus.

Rick

The Durant Motors Automobile Club