Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
step plate placement

Hello. I'm accessorizing my touring to look like more of a sport touring. I picked up some step plates to add to the running boards, but am having a hard time determining placement from photos. Is there anyone with plates on their touring that could giver me measurements? Thanks!

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: step plate placement

Todd:
This is the method I understand was used by the folk who sold step plates in the beginning.
They would park the touring on a good level piece of concrete (garage floor, etc) Then they would wet the area in front of the running board, request the owner to walk around the car, and then get in the car. In this way, the owner would unconsciously step on the wet floor, step on the the running board to enter the car. The place where his wet footprint appeared on the running board, was the place to put the step plate.
It makes sense, only if the owner was not aware of what you were planning. But you really want the plates to be where the persons foot is going to be.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Gordon-
That is truly ingenious! It seems so intuitive, but I doubt I would have ever come up with it. The problem is, I doubt I will ever be able to 'trick' myself into forgetting about the water! I wonder if I could use chalk, since that might last long enough for me to forget and get my running board mark. Thanks very much for your help.
-Todd

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring

Todd,

As I recall when I installed my first plates I tryed a couple of different methods in determining where to place the step plates, I believe it was Lance that said to locate the plates in the middle of the doorway and center them on the running board and that seamed to work best for me....See if that is the location that you end up with and let us know.

Where Are You From? Yuma AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this topic. I tried Gordon's method, and sure enough, my footprints were right under the middle of the doorway as Bill predicted! Thanks to you both for your help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club