Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spare tire covers

Has anyone done any logos on their spare tire covers. My 6-14 has a full rear spare tire cover. In a factory photo it shows the Durant emblem with "A Good Car" printed below it. Would this be screenprinting? Would you do it right on the cover(probably how the dealer did it), or would you have separate pieces made and have them sewn onto the cover? My cover is a black canvas. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: Spare tire covers

Hi Ross,

I'm not sure how screenprinting works but thought you might like to see what computerized sewing or maybe it's coustom embroidering looks like....This is on my A-22, as I remember I took the design for the logo from a Durant parts book along with the spare tire cover (before it was sewn together) and we came up with a design...As I recall they charge by the stitch and the cost wasn't all that much.

photo 791f8a74-22bb-42de-98af-c6bf59c93ae5_zps23520826.jpg

photo af7df104-e32d-49b2-beee-1c42400ba109_zpsc3fe2438.jpg

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

Bill
Tire cover looks great! Did you have it custom made or buy one and adapt it. I know you had the embroidery done custom, but how about the basic tire cover? I'm not sure they had screen printing back in the 20's or if it would hold out to the sun and weather as much. Not sure what other processes are out there.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Mike,
On this project I and an upholstery friend worked together doing the top and spare tire cover, nither of us had done a top before so it was a learning experience for both of us....Both the tire cover and top are "stayfast" which is a tough 3 layer toping fabric...Basicly we just cut out 2 rings/discs and sewed welting on the outside Diams. and a binder on the inside diams. and cut the Inside disc at the bottom and sewed in a velcro fastner, we used the same trim on the cover as we did on the top and seams to tie them together nicely.

Incidently, Jack Melpass from Houston,TX sent the trunk cover for his A-22 Sport Touring and we did the same Durant logo on that as the spare tire cover only larger.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

Ross, Send me your email I have some info to send.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Hi Ross, I am in the process of doing the same type of spare cover. Please call me at 503-970-6765 so we can discuss. Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 60

The Durant Motors Automobile Club