Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What model did I own?

In 1948, while stationed near Napa Ca, I purchased a 1931 Durant 4-door Sedan that had a 6 cylinder Continental engine, 4-speed crash box transmission, a vacuum tank for the wipers, thermostatically controlled louvers for the radiator, and had raindrop type headlamps that I have learned recently were called Wood lights. It had twin fender mounted spares, wire wheels, 17 inch, I think. It also came with draw down shades in the rear seat for privacy. I am just curious because I haven't seen any pictures of a Durant like it. The headlights are like those used on some of the Ruxton automobiles of that era.

Does anyone own one or know of one like it?

Where Are You From? Texas

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Re: What model did I own?

Hi Manny,
In my opinion what you're describing is a 1929 Model 66.
No 17 inch tires ever came from the factory, but a previous owner could have done that. No raindrop type headlamps, but again a prior owner could be responsible for that too.

Rick

Funny as I was just looking at a Dupont online and it has the Woods lights also. Can't think of any of our 30 - 33 Durant's / Frontenac's having four speed. 615 / 616 Rugby trucks did as well as the 1929 66, 70 and 1928 75.

As Rick says someone could have switched parts from other vehicles and adapted them to the car you recall.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

I live in Mesquite, a suburb of Dallas. A Durant was the first car I ever owned when I was 18 years old in Napa, California. I always have been a car nut and I never forget my first car. I was told that it was made by Star motor company but I never had any documentation.

Where Are You From? Texas

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

actually star was made by Durant motor co. yours sounds like my 1929 model 70

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

The model 6-17 had the 4 speed, but first was so low geared that you weren't there very long. As mentioned the Ruxton car had woodlites as standard, but you could by them aftermarket. They had some pretty interesting ideas on optics for these headlites. I think a lot of people fitted "jumbos" as an aftermarket wheel and tire. So I think a previous owner could have modified your car with different headlamps and wheels, but probably unlikely to have changed the transmission, so sounds like you had a model 6-17. Also had "normal" louvers on the hood. If you had a 6-14 I think you would have remembered the spear design for the hood louvers. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Thank you Ross .. yes the 1930 half and half 617 had the four speed also. Looked like a 30 body / fender wise but chassis / running gear of the 28 / 29. Yes this is sounding like the 1930 617.

Also can't go by the idea the car was a 1931 based on registration but by model and VIN to identify it. DOT / MOT registered cars in year of sale not of issue. Deceased lad in Nova Scotia fought with MOT to have his early 1930 614 shown as 1930 not 31 on the registration and got nowhere, so made a plate saying it was a 1930 Durant made at Leaside and had that on the front along with actual plate to drive it.

As we have found out the 1930 could or couldn't have the spears on the hood side. Seems it was a dealer option to switch.

Re tires a lot of owners used the 1932 Durant sized tires of 5.25 / 5.50 x 19 on the 30 / 31, later on, not the 4.75 / 5.00 x 19 they came with. 32 Frontenac used same size 5.25 / 5.50 but 18's. 33 C400 Frontenac used 17 which I am assuming the corresponding Continental Beacon would use. The 32 standard 680 DeVaux used 5.25 x 19 and Deluxe 5.50 x 17 per my sales brochure on the 680. That would be the same as the 685 Frontenac and 633 Durant that used same parts. It would seem you could probably just switch the wire wheels and use 19, 18, or 17 as your mood suits. Would be lots of wheels at wrecking yards, farm fields etc in the 40's or after market places.

Article on the Woodlites found on lots of cars, Dupont as I mentioned being one of them .. http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2008/10/01/hmn_feature20.html

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club