Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake Material

What is everyone using to reline their brakes. I saw the Keith N sent his out. Has anyone tackled the job themselves? What are you using and does it work? The model 65 has the 3 shoe mechanical brakes. Looks like it has a solid lining on there now, but believe it would have been probably a woven material I presume.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: Brake Material

I just received brake material form McMaster Carr. I went with the high strength woven material 1/4 thick. This is for my 25 Star it has mechanical brakes on the rear only. This has a higher coefficient of friction than most of the other stuff. I went with 1/4 as this is what S-25 located on the technical page says to use. I also bought material for my clutch and the rivets from them. I have not relined the brakes yet but this looks like it will work.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star, 26 Flint

How did this work out? What size rivets work for it? I need to do mine over the next few months. Thanks, Shawn

Where Are You From? New England

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Star Speedster

Shawn
After reading what others used on the AACA forum, I ordered mine from McMaster Carr. Their catalog is online. The rivet size I will have to get you as I forget what size I ordered. Material is used by many for early brakes. I'll get back to you on the rivet size.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Welp, In my opinion todays non-asbestos brake lining doesn't work as well as the old softer asbestos lining did in years gone by, but this is what is available today....It may be helpful to check the arc of the lining after riveting the lining on the shoes, to do so simply put the lined shoe in the brake drum and see if it is making good contact, that it doesn't have any rock or voids between lining and drum.....Last winter I found a simple but effective way to arc the lining, just put one of your wheels with brake drum attached on a bench at a comfortable height, get a sheet of sticky back #36 or #40 air board sanding paper, I'm thinkin they are 16" long (#80 paper is too slow)...Anyway, stick that sanding paper in the drum and holding the shoe with both hands and keeping the shoe square and straight with the drum sand away, this should improve the breaks from the gitty-up withought the wearing in and the constant adjustment process, even thow the lining is non-asbestos wear your dust or paint mask....There are times when a standard size lining is a little to thick and you can't get your drums on, this may be helpful......Something to think about.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Mike - were you able to confirm the rivet size? Thanks in advance, Shawn

This is what I ordered from McMaster-Carr:

Brass Semi-Tubular Rivet, 3/16" Diameter, 5/16" Length, packs of 100

Mike

Mike, What were the specs for the brake lining?

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Mike - thanks - I'll order and post pics. All the best, Shawn

Hey Rick;
I ordered High-Strength Brake and Clutch Lining, 3/16" Thickness, 1-1/2" Width, McMaster Carr part number 6224K343. I ordered 10 feet of it, but I might be short as when I ordered I took one brake pad and measured it. I did not realize until later that the Bendix 3 shoe brake pad mountings are different sizes, so I might have to order more.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club