Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Help! Desperate for information!

I need to find a supply of Snubber Belt material 1 1/2 inch wide to restore my Gabriel Snubbers. Restoration specialties and Restoration Supply do not have any at all and say it is not being manufactured anymore. Someone has to have some stashed away or know of another supplier somewhere in the world that has some. Many of the cars, including ours, in the 20's used this size. Just need enough to restore my 4 snubbers.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: Need Help! Desperate for information!

Mike, Since the smallest size available now is either 1 3/4" or 2" would it be possible to have either a shoe shop or a leather shop trim one down to 1 1/2" to see if it will work? The trimming tools/machines they use are very sharp and leave clean edges?

Where Are You From? Kokomo, Ind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star speedster

Hi Dennis;
Hadn't thought of that, that is a possibility too. Not sure if the side would unravel or fray though, but if I don't get any other leads I'll check that out. I've also posted on the AACA forum and also working on a lead for a substitute, but will keep everyone advised. Thanks for the input.

Mike

I have sent off a email to my farmer friend in AZ where I restore my old cars...He has a roll of that hard cotton woven belting and we used some on his Studebaker shocks when we restored his car....I believe it is about 3/16 X 1 1/2", I will try and find out where it came from and what he may have used it for...Maybe there is stock setting on an implament dealers shelves.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

Thanks Bill, I also received an email from Mac who turned me on to a place that might have some. I guess I'll be working the phones tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted on what I come up with. I know that if I find some and anyone anticipates restoring their car, they better purchase it now as it looks like it is very very hard to find anymore.

Looks like I might have my source for the correct size snubber webbing. Ouch, kind of expensive, but like they say " they ain't makin it anymore"

OK, I can check this off, I ordered 19' of it this morning and it should be here by next Wednesday via UPS. Found it in O'Canada thanks to Mac Irving. Thanks Mac! If any of you are anticipating restoring your snubbers and will be needing some in the next couple of years, I'd get it now. Looks like when supplies are gone there will be no more as no one is manufacturing it anymore. Now on to the brakes.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club