Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FOUND 1929 Durant D-40 Sedan

Hello All,
While looking at an Ad for an upcomming auction spotted a 1929 Durant D-40 sedan! I may be wrong but that is what it appears to be??

STORY; An old Chevy dealership was shutdown and had stored over 500 old cars and trucks Not Sold; "saved when new", some with as little as 2 to 4 miles on them. Many were barn stored, but too-bad a lot were just put outside and weathered a bit! The family is now selling all these old Chevy car's and trucks.

VanDerBrink auctions is haveing a sale of these 500 old Chevys from the 50's to 70's at Pierce Nebraska (about 150 mile NW of Omaha Ne., or 150 mile SW of Sioux City S.D.) on 28 and 29 Sept. FREE entry auction with no reserve.

Number "12L" in their listing appears to be a 29 Durant D-40 sedan, a bit rough (top falling in, surface rust) but very, very complete with Trunk, Rear spare, 5 good Wheels, hubcaps, straight Body, Complete engine, etc.

Google or Check out the web link: VanDerBrinkauctions.com for the Lambrecht Auction 28/29 Sept, Pierce Neb.

Maybe a club member can pick-up this one at a low price (No Reserve, usually $150 to $200 to start, 5% buyers fee for cash deal, 8% with Credit Card). Buyers must be registered with the Auction Co. before Bidding (easy process).

The site is worth a look for FUN, just to see all these neat old "original cars", Enjoy. I may make it out there myself to this auction or maybe the Hudson, Nash, Packard auction the week before (Sep 20th)in Minn.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 28 Loco 8-70, and 30 Durant 610

Re: FOUND 1929 Durant D-40 Sedan

Lance:
I have looked at that auction site off and on for some time. It is hard to believe that there are so many cars still out there.
I believe this car is a 28M2. I might be wrong but I see no landow bars and no cowl lights which 29 had. That tail light also looks 28. Any other opinions out there?
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I agree Gary an M2 .. they call it a 1928 on the video and it was toss up if M2 or 55 based on Terry's site of info. Again the 55 had the cowl lights.
The headlight lenses on 40, 60, 401 are plain glass and this car is not. M2 and 55 use the Chevy taillight and 40, 60 the beehive lense same as 1930 and up. Canadian after market catalogues give the differences for head / tail lights and models, which I find the US ones don't. Corresponding US ones don't even mention lights / lenses at all.

Any idea what that hose thing is with funnel part attached to head just behind the fan ? Doesn't look long enough to reach the mouth of the carb but if it is forced air to carb, I would think carb would get choked up with dust and bugs quickly or cylinders full of grit. Can't imagine driving on a rainy day and having all that moisture sucked into the engine. Seems to be angled specifically down towards exhaust pipe where its fastened to some metal box thing there.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Norm:

In the "Search" box above put in "Heater". I just did and the post by Keith N. of May 19th shows a picture of what it might be.??
Gary

Might be Gary, or a take off of a similar heater ?? Guess you'll have to go take a look at it to see, grin. Too much rubbish on the floor of the M2 in the pic of inside, to see if it has a floor vent like Keith N's ad posting.

Been meaning to ask if you saw Ebay 151087965193 of the DeVaux coup since you are collecting info on DeVaux's. This one has the white faces on the gauges like Ed P's cowl I sent you a pic of, but not the Freewheeling pull that is on Ed's to left of key. Bob could use that pull for his 633 which is below the gauge plate on the 633. Identically marked pull as the 633 coup and same place as Bob's sedan. I was able to pull up Ed's in the pic to see and read it. This DeVaux seems to have 4 pulls not the fifth for Freewheeling. Could that push button to right of key be Startix as explained is right of key on some cars, in my copy of Owners Reference Book by Dominion Motors, for all Durant and Frontenac Models by them.

Norm:

That DeVaux has been on the registry since the 70's. It is from the estate of Harry Hoy. He was a DeVaux dealer in Wisconsin or Illinois. He did the restoration many years back. His son actually contacted me in September 2010 wanting to sell it. I was just going into surgery so he just posted it on this web site. The man that bought it sold it again in August 2012. At that selling I think there was a good profit made.
This car is a late (fall series) 1931. The cowl band is the item that I see that tells me so. The fall series was a way to try to pick up sales. The free wheeling was added also. There was no Startex on the 31 DeVaux and probably not on the 32. I will have to ask Howard and Myron on that. The 31 had 3 pulls below the gauges. So if you see four that is probably for the free-wheeling As you see the 31 has the white faces with black dials and the 32 is reversed. Both Howard and I agree that these bumpers are not DeVaux.
Gary

Hi Gary ... had to check the 633 dash to be sure. Three pulls below the gauges and part of plate are S (spark advance) T (throttle) C (choke). Directly below that on dash is FW (free wheeling) left and L (lights) right. Both 633's are the same. This 31 DeVaux coup has a pull to right of plate on dash which must be lights then, but not an orig pull with letter L. That's pull number four. Ed's dash the FW is to left of key but this coup has no other pull. Just to further muddy things up, Bob's 633 has a hole in the dash same place the coup has the light pull ??? For what ???

Checked the pic of the only known 685 Frontenac coup but unfortunately its a close up of the plate itself and not the dash to give idea's what other pulls it might have other than the three below the gauges. The gauges are black faced same as 32 DeVaux.

Having said that I rechecked the pic of Ed's rusty dash and it also seems to be the same as the coup and had a pull to right of plate in same place for lights. All there is, is a circle no pull head left. However it also has the push button to right of key.

The Dominion write up about "The Automatic Starting Switch" gives two pages of info about the "Startix" which only requires the key be on. Scary item. Says if the engine stalls and key is on, it will automatically crank the engine. Capital letters "DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR IN GEAR" with key on. If Startix should fail to operate with ignition on, press the manual starter button.(again with the warning to be sure your car is not in gear). Several models of Durant and Frontenac are equipped with Startix and all earlier models may have the automatic starting switch installed at small cost. Since DeVaux, Continental, Dominion copied each other it would seem DeVaux would have same arrangement. Same gauges and pulls on 680, 633 and 685. I assume 675 just white face on gauges are different, pulls the same ?

Maybe talking about this has solved why my 32 614 has a hole to left of where key / coil should be. Startix button hole ?? Someone put a cig lighter in key hole and key where lighter should be below gauge plate.

Sigh, wish I lived just a little closer.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Norm:
I just got back from a family gathering in Eastern Washington and I stopped in Tri-Cities to see a DeVaux I added to the registry a few years ago. It is a 4 door Sport and by the cowl band on a picture I was sure it was a Fall series. I got a close look at the dash and the Free wheeling pull is there and to the left of the key. This dash has everything in the right place. The F/w knob has the correct markings and the three pulls below the inst. panel are marked correct. On the firewall side the cable is in the proper place and runs down to the trans. area.
The coupe on E-bay is not a Fall series. I had it listed on the old registry as such but by the pictures I do not see a cowl band, no pull on the dash for F/W and no cable on the firewall that goes down to the trans.
The man in Tri-Cities said that the Fall Series also had roll up windows on the quarter windows on both sides on a sedan. That appears to be true as I have seen a Fall Series Sedan with the roll up windows and a earlier sedan without.
Gary

You'll have to come and see my M4 and stash of Durant stuff. I'm ready to sell. I live quite close to the Hudson guy and drive by frequently.

Lance:
The upcoming auction was on the NBC evening news tonight and they ended the segment with the 28 Durant in the background.
Gary

All,
Currently this tired old 1928 Durant M2 sedan (Auction #: 12L)is now going for $1900 on the web site on-line auction bidding! Yes it is complete but the price seems like it is getting a little steep for it's condition.

Because of all the media attention, a lot of the CHEVY's (and others)are going for prices way above reason! An example is the 1978 Corvette at $35.5 now even 2 weeks before the auction has even started. Some of the very rough (cond. 5)late 50's early 60's pickup trucks are going for $3K,or more with a 58 Chevy Step side P-up at $15.5K, and the 58 Chevy Cameo P-up at $25.5K this morning. Two 63 Corvair Coupes are now over $10K each. All way too rich for me! Likewise some tired/old mid-50's Chevy cars are going well past $3K too.

Some of the off-brands and trade-in's with high mileage on day Two's (29 Sep)sale are still going for low prices though. But alot of them are in pretty bad condition.

My boss has told me that "thousands" of people have alread signed up worldwide for this 28/29 Sept "Lambreth" sale at Pierce Neb.[vanderbrinkauctions.com], so this should be a mega show/circus! See the numbered cars pictured with current bids by going to the "on-line Bidding" or on each days "on-line bidding" auction site.

I would like to go for the fun of it [BIG Free car show!]but my 50th High School reunion is the same weekend in Decatur,Illinois so I might pass. Also
have just finished a short-sale (very cheap at half-price} on a 10 acre Horse Ranch inland nearby[now space to store my cars; yeah!!] and need to move/set that up. Time to quit some of my paid storage.If anyone wants to drop in for a beach vacation, give me a shout. Plenty of Camper parking space now plus a barn, garage, boat storage and a Double-wide trailer, and fenced pasture for your horse or goat; You-all drop in, Hear! ha,ha.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

The Durant is at 2300 now if you read the fine print in their online auction it says 10% buyers premium until 15000 then it drops to 8% . I live about 3 hours from the auction and own a shop that used to be a Star and Durant dealership I have tried to get some title info from this car and they will not respond. I am looking for a car that was sold from this dealership.

Where Are You From? Ne

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 m2

Craig,
Sounds like they bumped the "Buyer's Premium" up a bit, originally said it was 5% with 3% for Credit cards, and No CC fee if over $25K. Sounds changed.

I guess this is because of all the publicity, their previous auction I did
(Fall 2011) was NO FEE, with a 3% Credit card fee [Cash purchase, no extra cost]. With car loading at $20 this was a real deal for me. Even this auction 28/29 Sep is a free admission! So not a bad FREE car show if you don't buy anything! Just Fun looking at the hundreds of neat old cars.

Oh well, even this 8% buyers fee probably is not too bad. I guess every business has to show a profit and their cost's were higher this time around!

The Barret-Jackson (BJ) "Circus auctions" get about 30% percent of selling price(buyer & Seller premiums combined)!! Plus the 3% to 5% percent the Credit card companies tack on to the sale, plus the B-J paperwork, insurance, handling & shipping etc. costs they tack on. B-J advertizes their auctions (sic!) as "Lifestyle Events"; with Jewlery, Clothes, and Collectibles now as primary draws and cars a second draw for us common folk. Guessing you will or must buy something if you can't "afford" a car. Admission to B-J grounds is about $20 bucks (Min.) and $100 for the big tent, and about $500 for the up-front bidder's rows. Oh yeah, don't you dare bring a drink or any food; consider maybe $5+ dollar softdrinks, and about $7 to $10 (to start) food items, Yuck!

Still not sure if I will make it to this Neb. auction? I'm tracking a few cars in Day 2 that are still lower priced but because of time/distance wise I might not make it. 50th High School Reunion on same weekend in Illinois, more fun seeing old friends, plus brother 40 miles away, and all way-cheaper too, Ha,Ha.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

The Durant Motors Automobile Club