Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust fixings

The exhaust system on my car (W5 engine) keeps separating from the exhaust manifold. The exhaust is held to the manifold by a 'split collar' on the manifold held in-place with a screw clip. This clip vibrates off and the whole thing falls apart!! I do not believe that this method is original. Anyone any photos of an original set-up?
Thanks in anticipation.

Where Are You From? Hessle, UK

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1929 Rugby Tourer

Re: Exhaust fixings

Isn't the manifold threaded to take the exhaust pipe packing nut indicated in the after market catalogues ? Definitely shows threaded manifolds for pre 30 engines. Later one like mine have the flat collar that nut and bolts to the manifold corresponding flat flange.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Graham......

Look at the second page of the post "what did you do with your Durant today" Don Shilling has a good picture of the exhaust manifold nut on his 14L, Also look at Jim Greenamyer's post on manifold paint, he has a picture of the W-5 from my roadster, you can see the special nut also.

Jim made a special spanner wrench to remove this nut.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

Thank you Frank .. I was looking all over DMAC to find a pic or two.

Graham.... There is a "Brass" Flange gasket that gets inserted between the manifold and the exhaust pipe before the nut is tightened into position. I purchased mine from Olson's Gaskets in Washington State.
Tomorrow morning Franks car is headed to the shop for the new exhaust system. I'll post some picks later this week.
Jim G.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply. How do I get to see 'what did you do today .......etc???'
From the replies from other members it seems as though my system is a complete 1-off. No threaded manifold on my car!! The exhaust pipe pushes into the manifold and is held by a slit collar on the manifold and a welded on flange on the exhaust pipe. They are then held together with 3 bolts and the screw clip. I think it may have been put togethr from bits from other cars.

I have your email and will send a photo.

Where Are You From? Hessle, UK

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1929 Rugby Tourer

Graham .. Look down the forum items to June 12 to see "what did you do today ..."

Yes it appears someone got creative in the past and ad hoc'd your set up. At least it wasn't as bad as a complete car the lad had, I think Argentina, that the only part on his car was a Rugby (Star) rad shell and name badge. Front axle was a shortened early Model T axle and wheels, with T steering column. Body we never did figure out but near 1910. Brass lights even earlier. Motor was some German industrial farm use one. All in all it was still an interesting all bits and pieces touring car that most people wouldn't know it didn't came from any factory. He was a bit disappointed to find out it wasn't a Rugby nor an actual car, but was still a head turner when he drove it around, so was going to keep it anyway.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club