Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tubular Backbone Exhaust

Hey all,

This 1925 Flint H-40 (closed car) project I have has one of those tubular exhaust systems on it that is rusted out....I am wondering if I would be doing myself a disservice if I just scraped this thing and install a conventional 5" round muffler with tailpipe over the rear axle and out the back...I believe these things were a Durant signature item and selling feature of the time to supposidly take some twist out of the frame....I am getting too old to do the 3 wheel drive-by trick and can't handle the exhaust exiting under the car as they did originaly, especialy a closed car, I see that someone in the past had welded a pipe over the original exhaust outlet and ran it out the back to try and correct the problem....When did Durant do away with these tubular mufflers in 1926? Anyway,I am wondering what others are doing when they need to be replaced...Thanks.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

Re: Tubular Backbone Exhaust

Bill:
I don't think that there would be any problem at all. There would probably be quite a bit of back pressure with the Tubular backbone. The longer tailpipe would probably correct some of this. We do have the tubular back bone on the 22, and we replaced the pipe inside. Don't have to worry about fumes with a touring.
We sure liked the pictures of your coupe. Great job.

All the best to you and Bjorg.

Gord8gf6

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Hi Bill. I wonder if the Star cars used the same one, as did the Flint. If so I do have a couple. The Star cars used them i 22,23, and part of 24 If your not in a hurry, I could bring it to the meet in Sept. Bert

Where Are You From? American Canyon Calif.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars & Stars.

Gord, thanks
I also made a new in-pipe for the backbone muffler on my '23 A-22 touring and also enlarged the outlet slot at the back as I thought I was having too much backpressure affecting the way the engine ran...like you say the exhaust fumes doesn't seem to be much of a problem with that touring car but I am concerned with the Flint closed car of gassing me out.

Bert,
Thanks for the offer and the info, My Flint backbone muffler is 52" long, and I see that my A22 is actually a little longer than the Flint, the brackets are also different,however they are both 5" in diameter, I would imagine that the Star would be different again...My first thought is that I would make up a new 5" backbone muffler and brackets from scratch and bolt the unit to the crossmembers rather than rivets, the problem is I have zero tolerance to exhaust fumes and would like to run the exhaust out the back rather than under the car....Anyway, I have decided to put a conventional exhaust w/ tailpipe on the car like the later durants and leave the car so that the backbone muffler could be reinstalled in the future.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

Can the tubular backbone muffler be taken out and left out without any problems with the factory structure of the frame? I was planning to install a seperate muffler system by just routing to the side and a little lower to the original because I don't know if the backbone muffler can be eliminated totally.

Where Are You From? Southern IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I built a reproduction of the tubular backbone for my car. While building it, I had it in and out a few times and when completed, I went to install. I put the two front bolts and nuts in place (in the frame)and went to attach the rear. I needed a little more room under the car, so I jacked it up about 6" at the left rear on the spring/axle point. I crawled under to hang the rear of the tubular backbone and to my surprise, the bolt holes in the frame didn't line up, not even close! Jacking it up put quite a twist on the frame, a twist that would have been prevented (at least partially)by the "Durant Tubular Backbone" touted in Durant advertisements of the day. I lowered the car, the holes lined up and I finished the install.Now I am able to drive around minus one front wheel! Try that one model T guys!

Where Are You From? Prescott Az

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

Hey Rusty,

Why don't you write a short article about your reproduction Tubular Backbone Exhaust? I'm sure others would find it very interesting.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Hi Bill, I have a 24 Star touring frame with the backbone in it. It measures 50 inches, its yours if you can use it. Glenn

Where Are You From? Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

Hi Rick,
I really enjoyed meeting you and the other club members in San Diego! I have been reading your posts in the forum for years and I finally got to put a face to some of the names. I was NOT disappointed. As you know, I'm not currently a club member but I do plan to re up for 2014. A few years ago, I very much planned to write an article about a local STAR car with an interesting history here in Prescott. I still intend to write it and submit it to Carol for her consideration. I would love to do one on my Durant Tubular Backbone project. Thank you so much for asking!

Where Are You From? Prescott Az

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club