Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starter Brushes

I will have a few starter related questions.
Not doing a real rebuild, but I am cleaning up the spare starter to get an idea of what's involved.
The starter on the engine may be worn and in need of rebuild.
These brushes are off the spare. I was wondering how worn you would say they are. To me they don't look that much smaller than most brushes that I have seen. I have been watching a lot of rebuild videos for starters, and mainly it looks more like a process of cleaning and fitting it with new brushes and springs than anything else. (I understand there can be problems with the armature, but it looks like most peoples problems with old starters came from the brushes and just getting cleaned up nicely

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a587/Gerald_Feather/20130701_001341_zps4adab7c1.jpg

photo 20130701_001807_zpsc03fa823.jpg

And a picture of the armature ?communicator? I believe.

photo 20130701_001341_zps4adab7c1.jpg

My spare starter is missing the gear and spring that go on the shaft and contact the flywheel. Worm Gear? Not sure what the technical term is for it. I think it's the Bendix Drive? Anyway, I have noticed they have new ones reproduced for 28 - 40's Model A Fords, and I was wondering if these would be compatible / right size for the spare starter I have. It would be nice to have two working starters .
Here is the part I was talking about:
http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-ford-bendix-starter-drive-replacement-type-b11350n/camid/MDA/cp/JS0R3CHL1068658/

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Re: Starter Brushes

That's the same Bendix as on my 1925 Star. However, the number of teeth on the gear varies from one make to another as does the shaft diameter. The wrong number of teeth will result in a terrifying grinding noise.

If you have a good Benedix, count the teeth, measure the shaft and e-mail Mac's.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club