Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Knight Rebound Controller (snubber)

Can anyone provide instructions for the Knight rebound controller - snubber?
Does anyone have any of these Knigth snubber parts available for sale?

Thanks

Where Are You From? Guelph, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1929 Durant, Model 40

Re: Knight Rebound Controller (snubber)

Mac I am not sure what you want. Is it a type of shock absorber. A picture would be worth a thousand words.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant-model 614 deluxe rumble seat coupe

The Tech. Pages show the Lincoln snubber. My Model 40 has Knight Rebound Controllers on it (marked clearly on each can lid). Knight is the company name and they are cans but with a heavy clockwork spring.

Photos are not available at this time.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Yes Ken ... remember pre 30 and post 29 cars are two different worlds and nothing the same except the beehive taillight on some pre 30 models.
Our Canadian shocks are Munroe double action hydraulic shocks made by Acme Gear Co in Toronto. US ones are Munro made by Munroe Auto Equipment Co, Munroe Mich. The 32 will now have US shocks not having found ours. Only if someone actually reads the casting info, would you know.

Pre 30 are like Mac says and shown in Tech page, are a canister with spring inside with woven belt that coils and uncoils, instead of arms / links we have. Mac might know better that his also might be a Canadian Co made snubber only, much the same as our Munroe's by two different Co's.

This wasn't just Durant Motors who used different parts companies, US / Can, but Dominion did the same and Canadianized cars. Depress Beam headlights on all Dominion not Glolite or Stabilite, 32 Durant bumpers open ended with diamond shaped medallions. 31 US 619 one bar bumpers closed ends and different medallions. Beacon / Flyer no glove box, C-400 / C-600 Frontenac's glove boxes and eventually radios.

That's just a few of many differences and what makes it harder to put the vehicles back to factory as they rolled out the door, with US or Canadian company made parts.

Oh my goodness Mac .. Google papers Montreal Gazette page 17 Sept 12 1927 ad for the Knight Rebound Controllers Ltd made Hamilton Ont. So there we go, it is a Canadian made product. Just put Knight Rebound Controller in search.

Goodyear diamond tread balloon tires ad below that and Champion Spark plugs beside it. Champion, A Canadian made spark plug Windsor Ont. Champion X 80 cents, Cars other than Ford 90 cents. ha ha.

---------------------------

Knight Asks .Will You Be Proud Of .Your .Car?" . - Google News

news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19270912&id...

They are having their new car equipped, by the dealer, with Knight Rebound Controllers; before comes off the. control spring in your car. Every bump, every hole ...

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Mac, my 60 was produced in California and came with the holes for shocks/snubbers already drilled/punched in the frame but I don't think they were ever added as standard equipment until 1930. The Monroe style shocks fit exactly, so I added them to the front but put tube shocks on the rear as they work much better. See Tech Page, Modern Improvements, Shocks #3. Note that 90% of the shock action/help comes from the rear. The fronts hardly do anything due to the heavy engine and springs.Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 60

Hi Mac.
I have some of those in stock, l'll go out back and find some and send you photos of them.
Actually my 29 car came from the Oakland CA factory with these on it. Course my model is a 6-66.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Thank you, Lance! As usual, you have come through with help. I have contacted you directly.
Mac

Hi Mac.
l did find 4 brake type Watson snubbers that came on a Durant car out back.
I sent pictures to your home E-mail address. Let me know if you would like them and l'll ship them to you. No idea what they are worth.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Lance
I sent you an email (direct) last Tuesday evening and am re-sending it again now. Let me know if it doesn't reach you.
Thanks
Mac

Hi Mac.
I am sorry. Because l only have one E-mail address and only want one and l use it for everyone including my antique car chauffeuring business we have had to go into Roadrunner web site and block a lot of junk and nasty E-mails and domains and l found rogers.com which is yours , so l unblocked it and l put your actual E-mail in the OK area. So we should be good to go Mac. Sorry about that.
Did you get my pictures of the Durant snubbers OK I sent you on Tuesday?
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Yes, Lance, I got the photos and sent you a response about them. I sent you emails on Mon., June 24th, Tues., June 25th after you sent the photos and I re-sent the June 25th email again to-day; so ther should be a total of three somewhere in your mailbox. My June 25th messages were specific responses to your email with the photos.

I'm sorry for any confusion and hope you can retrieve my other messages.

Mac

The Durant Motors Automobile Club