Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting a roof together ; help wanted in info and pics

Sirs:
Good-day. I have a '26 Model M Touring, it once had a roof and the side canvas pieces. Well now all I have are the "side" canvas pieces, no roof and no iron for the roof.

I am going down to Jim Olson's in Lundbreck Alberta on July 1st. He tells me he has 2 barrels of roof irons but has no idea of their heritage (other then Durant material).

Am taking my car with me, for a fun drive in the mountains, and to try to get iron that fits the ole' girl.

I would really appreciate some very clear pictures of the iron required for getting my roof started. Don Shilling, in Texas, tells me that '25, '26, ' 27 Model M Touring roofs were ALL a LITTLE different. But I am receptive to information on all 3 years but am particularly interested in the '26 specs.
The lengths of bows etc would be good stuff.

Also, if there is somewhere to get the wooden bows made up ??? I thought, somewhere in my past, that there is someone in Saskatchewan, any leads?

Any and all information, you may have that would help in my quest would be greatly appreciated.

regards
guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Model M Touring

Re: Getting a roof together ; help wanted in info and pics

Let me clear this up a little. 1922-25 (C and F) were all the same and different from the M series. All 26, 27, 28 Model M's and R's were the same.

Hey Don:

Tx for clarification....Had good talk, guess I muddled the specs.

Still would appreciate some pictures of iron from somewheres.

guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Model M Touring

Guy,
After your phone call I started looking for top building info for you.

If you can find a copy of "Antique Automobile" ,June 1960, it has a detailed story "How to make your own top".

My 1923 Durant oak top bows were bent by Mel's-Leather and Horsehair, P.O. Box 179, Jeromesville, Oh., 44840. Ph.419-368-3226. I have the dimensional patterns for the 4 bows required for my 1923 Durant touring if that is the same as your car. Mel's might have kept a copy of the patterns when he did mine. If you need a copy send me your address or call me again.

Jack

Where Are You From? Magnolia, Tx.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1923 Durant Touring

Hi:

I hope to make my own roof bows in the next while but don't have any specs to follow at this point. It appears the '23 Durant touring bows could be the same as the '25 Star. The copy of the patterns you mention, can it be emailed? I would sure appreciate getting a copy of that if possible. Thanks, Don

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Model F touring

Already sent you by mail same info as delivered for Guy.

Good luck

Ricardo

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 M2 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club