Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'25 Flint Timing Gear Conversion

Hey All,

Just finished installing #35 double roller sprockets and chain to replace the worn silant timing gear setup on the 6-W Continental engine in my '25 Flint....Bruce Hargin has instruction on converting the 14L engine to double roller in our Tec page under modern improvements...I had to vary somewhat from Bruces instructions for the 14L but we acomplished the same end product...On my engine I used a 24tooth for crank, 48 for cam, and 20 for generator...Got a real good price on the sprockets from my local bearing house, the supplier out of Oregon flame hardened them and shipped them direct....I broched three keyways in the crank pulled to fractionaly fine tune the cam timing but am now thinking that that was probably an overkill.

photo d6507b34-1fa1-4d23-9b84-793abf081118_zpsf048b6f4.jpg

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

Re: '25 Flint Timing Gear Conversion

Bill Nice work.Should be secure and have less noise. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Double roller chain is used on some models of Ferguson tractors and on some Triumph sports cars. So it is an established alternative to the "Silent Chain"

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Yes, they have double roller timing chain sets for just about everything, Ford , Chevy and Chrysler nearly all have aftermarket sets available...

Finding valves for this guy was a bit difficult, I ended up buying valves on ebay with the same size head and stem diameters but with longer stems, then trimmed the stems to length and drilled the holes in the stems for the keeper pins, this worked fine for about half the valves but then the other half were sterilite so those required a diamond drill bit to drill them....Eggie had a couple of valve springs which I needed, so think we can finish putting this thing together and make smoke.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 model 40 coupe, '23 A-22 touring, '25 Flint H-40

The Durant Motors Automobile Club