Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant D-60 Instrument Cluster

I'm building a new wiring harness and would also like to have the instrument cluster restored. Included are pics of my parts, as removed. I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like originally. Most of this car was painted black many years ago, maybe in a lame attempt to "spruce it up".
Anybody out there have pics of an original instrument panel?

photo 100_0088_zps7b98eeda.jpg

photo 100_0089_zpsbbeec83d.jpg

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Star, 27 Star, 29 Durant

Re: Durant D-60 Instrument Cluster

Hi Don,

Here is my Dash, as you can see it has a wrinkle finish painted gold. The bezel is chrome plated. The light switch on some cars had the same gold painted wrinkle finish while others were painted black with white letters.
I have seen three dashes from Oakland factory Deluxe models there were wrinkle.

Rick

Well, I guess mine is original, just painted all black. I wonder how they applied the gold wrinkle to the switch plate and choke plate. The gold plate, on the cluster, was applied before the chrome oval was installed.
If I have my instruments restored, I'll have to remove the dash panel and repaint it also!!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Star, 27 Star, 29 Durant

The switch and choke plates were easier than they looked to restore.
First I had them chrome plated back to original, then taped off the edges and with the help of an Exacto knife clean up the edges. Next spray on the wrinkle finish and let the wrinkle cure for at least 24 hours, the more the better. If you paint the wrinkle stuff any sooner then there will be a nasty chemical reaction that will bubble and force you to start over.
After curing, spray gold and let dry. Easy Smeegee.

Rick

Seems Gold is the dash colour up to the 1933's. Here's Steve's 60 and orig untouched dash. Orig key lost and why the hanging attachment. I have same problem with outside handle and spare tire lock, that locksmiths here can't seem to cut double sided keys for lost keys. Too hard to hold both sets of tumblers in place.

Steve's 1929 60 Durant photo Steves1929Durant07.jpg

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

I believe the coupe dash is out in the carport in a box

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

The Durant Motors Automobile Club