Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
exhaust manifold paint

I've been checking around to see what the best system is to use on an exhaust manifold. Been told powder coat won't take the heat and didn't want to do the more expensive and incorrect ceramic coating.
I was told if I do as instructed on the cast blast paint and bake it at 400 degrees, it would hold up fine. After baking, it looked really nice.

Anybody else try this? Jim G.

photo 100_6341600x452.jpg

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Re: exhaust manifold paint

Hey Jim;
Did you media blast the manifold first and if sol what media did you use?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Hi Mike;
Yea... I sure did blast the it first. I did it in my booth with the big blaster and sand at 150psi inside and out. Once we made a 3 point spanner wrench we heated the end to get the nut out, I sandblasted it with the big blaster again.
It then sat a couple of weeks while I was deciding what method to use... so right before spraying and baking I tossed it into my cabinet and hit it with glass bead.
Kinda "overkill" I'd say!
The color you see is the color of the spray (baking didn't change it much).
I think it has a good look to it.... hope it's durable? Jim G.

Hi Jim,
Looks great.... What is the name brand of the paint?? Could not make out the wording on the can..

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint E55 Sedan

Here you go Yates .... I just opened the pic larger in Photobucket and put Cast Blast in search to be sure.

Cast Blast -- Cast Iron Gray Spray Paint - Seymour of Sycamore

www.seymourpaint.com/cast_blast.html‎

A professional grade paint that restores rebuilt cast iron engine parts to their original luster. Heat resistant. Try it today!
A professional grade cast iron paint that reproduces the original look of cast-iron parts. Cast Blast is perfect for water pumps, intake manifolds, master cylinders and more. It protects against rust, has a low sheen, and resists heat up to 250F continuous. For higher temperature applications, use our Hot Spot cast iron gray, #16-2668

Suggested Uses:
Rebuilt cylinder heads
Refinish a radiator
Repair steel wheels
Paint an intake manifold

$10.80 each or $61.56 (Case of 6)

If the wording is 1200F on Jims pic then this seems to be the one he used.

http://www.seymourpaint.com/high_temperature_paint.html #16 - 2668

A heat resistant spray paint designed to withstand temperatures up to 1200F (648 C) on a continuous basis. Creates a porcelain-like bond at high temperatures. Resists peeling, loss of adhesion, and blistering. Must be heat cured at a minimum temperature of 400F for two hours. Do not use a primer.

Suggested Uses:
Headers
Manifolds
Mufflers
Exhaust Pipes
Diesel Stacks
Furnaces

$13.40 each or $76.38 (case of 6)
-------------------------

Steve, here with a 1929 60 sedan had his manifold done in cermakrome at RLD Industries a few years back.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Thanks Norm
Yes, my can said 1200 degrees on it and we did bake it at 400 degrees for 2 hours. Guess I got away with using it even though it says " For professional use only".
Thanks again Norm for the added information
Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

The Durant Motors Automobile Club