Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GM to Buy Durant Dort Factory in Flint

Gary Yelle just forwarded this great news that GM is buying the old original Durant Dort factory in Flint for a museum for Durant and GM.
Bob Smith had a tour for a bunch of us early DMAC members way back there in Flint and he took us to that very building, and we got to go through the building, thanks again Bob. He lived back there then. Click here for the article. http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2013/05/general_motors_signs_purchase.html

Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

Re: GM to Buy Durant Dort Factory in Flint

Thanks Gary and Lance...
This may had never reached the FORUM without your efforts.
Bob Smith remembers well the year 2000 when we held our Annual Meet in Flint and toured that historical site and had our pictures taken at the Durant- Dort statue. He alone put together a great tour that many of us will always remember.
Bob and I talked about a museum in Flint on many occasions and I guess to the point where he may have gotten tired of listening to me.
This situation may well be the time that the DMAC should consider approaching
GM for a place to house our museum. There was grant money available then and more than likely still is for anything automotive that would boost the Michigan economy through tourism.
Bob, sure wish you were back in Michigan as I know you could make it happen.

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint E55 Sedan

Yates & Lance;
Last month I was contacted by a member of the group in Flint as well as Billy's Great Grandson about this. They are just in the initial stages of their planning but I was advised that we would be kept in the loop. Not sure what part we can play yet, as there are no DMAC members on the committee that heads the thing. Time will tell.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Mike:

If you have a contact number/name of someone on the committee could you send it to me by e-mail?

Myron Cummings is only a short way to the East and Bill DeVries and is in Grand Rapids. Other members on the roster could be contacted.

I have to thank John Willoughby in Wisconsin for sending me the link.

Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club