Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coincedental Locking mechanism

Posted this in the wanted section some time ago, thought I'd post it here too. I'm looking for a Coincidental Lock mechanism for my 28. Does not have to work (Most failed and were taken off and thrown away)but I want to use it to make one if I can't find one. Dave Schulte some time ago sent a diagram for them to me, Thanks Dave! but if anyone has one on his car, I'd like some pictures if possible. Thought I'd try again maybe some new members or lurkers might have one.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: Coincedental Locking mechanism

Mike, what is a coincidental locking mechinism ??? Glenn

Where Are You From? Tucson AZ.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Hi Glenn;
It is an early anti-theft device that some car manufacturers used including Durant. It ran from behind the key on the dash via cable to the distributor. When you turned the key it turned a lever down on the distributor keeping it from turning so the car could not be just gotten into and started. Most of our early cars did not have any door locks on them and you could get into the car and just start it and drive off I guess after hot wiring it. This was an added mechanism for anti-theft. I guess from the lack of them left on our cars that they were not very reliable and probably broke down more often so most people removed them. I don't think every model had them. Dave Schulte sent me a diagram or the thing and if I get the time over the weekend I'll try to post it here.

Mike, I have heard of an armored cable going to the coil to keep from hot wiring but nothing on the distributer. I would like to see the diagram. Thanks for the reply, Glenn

Where Are You From? Tucson AZ.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Mike: How has the search been going for locating an original coincidental lock for your car? I plan to make up a dummy unit also but need some measurements of an original one. Let me know what you have turned up. Perhaps I could get some specs from you at some point.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Steve;
Dave Schulte was gracious enough to send me a diagram years ago and I think he has an original one. Maybe he can get the measurements for us.

photo CoincidentallockmechanismMod65Duran.jpg

The Durant Motors Automobile Club