Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'26 star M Truck

Need advice on my '26 Star M truck. The front drive shaft doesn't seem to have any type of seal on it and the books don't reveal any seal there. Upon filling the transmission with oil, the oil leaks out the front. ANY comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Where Are You From? Lundbreck, Ab. Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? MANY

Re: '26 star M Truck

Dennis, when oil drains out the front input shaft, it means you put too much oil in the case.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Thanks, Don. I was hopint for that answer -- saves a lot of worry and work.

On level ground, remove the side plug. This is the fill point and oil level.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Don: that's where it's filled to and I'm getting a lot of oil thrown out from around the front shaft.. Thought maybe I should just have an inch or two in the bottom - but if what you say is true about the oil level, I've got more of a problem than just "too Much oil"

There is flat washer shaped oil slinger on the input shaft just aft of the front bearing (inside of case). This will sling the oil away from the shaft but allow a small amount to lube the front bearing. Also, the front bearing cover has some internal grooves that tend to spiral oil back into the case. If the front bearing has too much wear, allowing the shaft to wobble, it may cause excessive wear on these internal grooves.
What spec oil are you using?

Thanks Don -- appreciate your expertise! I'm using the 600W steam engion oil. Looks like I'll have to take it apart and look at the wear on the front bearing covers. I don't know if that's the problem as there's a tremendous amount of oil thrown out when full. Somethings definitely wrong.

Start by removing the coupling between the engine and transmission and remove the transmission top cover. This will give you plenty of room to inspect the affected components.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club