Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radiator Cap

I need a radiator cap for my 31 De Vaux. Any ideas where to look? Maybe someone knows of another model Durant that used the same radiator.... I haven't had much luck researching. The engine is a Hall-Scott 40A...it's almost the same engine as a Continental 22A. The radiator cap sits under the hood.
Any leads would be most appreciated!

Thanks Much

Sean

Where Are You From? Sacramento CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1931 De Vaux

Re: Radiator Cap

try calling howard reinke in auburn michigan, ,hes the devaux guru,he may have an old catalog giving part numbers if not ill check my parts when i can i may have an old one but probably would be better if you can find a new one,what body style is your devaux, dave

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux sports coupe

Thanks Dave,
I will try and track him down...do you have any contact info?

My car is a deluxe rumble seat coupe...has spare tires on both front fenders. Is that the same as yours? I have rebuilt the engine, done enough electric work to get it cranking, and just started on the fuel system....Cooling system is next on my list so I am looking for that radiator cap.

Is your car restored? If so, did you do it yourself? I would love to pick someones brain on a few things here!

Thanks

Sean

Where Are You From? Sacramento CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1931 De Vaux

hello sean i believe your car is the one i tried to buy from the son in law when the elderly owner passed,i believe his name was foster,sounded like a very nice car
restoration was started a long time back and never finished if this is the same car,dual side mounts would make it a custom not a sport,does yours have landau bars on the roof if so its a custom conupe,i believe the old owner told me the wood was all replaced and mechanicaalt rebuilt if in fact this is the same car,did you by it from a garage type estate sale in the sacramento area,my cars are still unrestored
i kept putting them off to the current project was donebut 40 years and numerous projects they still set.as soon as the economy turns around and i get the current project 1927 moon roadster? finished then ill get started on the 31,thanks dave

Hi Dave,
That is my car! I did buy it at the estate sale...was just about 10 houses down the road. The restoration was started but nothing had been done for well over 20 years....even the new wood is now a bit aged. I have rebuilt the engine, it wouldn't turn. Also rebuilt the starter,steering column, generator, water pump, fan assembly, and carburator. I built new floor board and wired the starter and coil switch. Just added the fuel system and am getting ready to see if it will run!

Is the firewall on your car still original? By that I mean is everything still connected and going through the holes that the builders intended? If it is, is there any chance of getting a picture? Same with the dashboard, I just mounted the steering column and steering wheel and I can't easily tell how the dash was connected. My car was pretty much completely disassembled when I got it so it's tough figuring out where everything goes.... Any descriptions or photos would be of great assistance.

Thanks for the info so far, if you get going on your car and want some help just let me know!

Thanks

Sean

Where Are You From? Sacramento

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Devaux

hello sean yes my cars are still together,let me know exackly what pictures are needed and what info,ill get pics of the firewall and dash this weekend please let me know what else you need pics or info of, dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much! You have no idea how helpful it will be to see some pictures....in addition to the firewall and the dash any interior pics, floorboards, doors, seat, would be great. This is the stuff that I have sitting in a big box of mixed up parts! It might be hard to take but a photo of the undercarriage would help to see where the exhaust system was channeled and where the fuel lines and brake lines were ran.

My email is satener@rocketmail.com if you want to send them there...
Thanks again, this will be invaluable information!

Talk soon

Sean

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 De Vaux

Hi Dave,
If you haven't taken pictures yet I thought of another...a close up of the carburator that shows how all the linkage is hooked up. I can modify it on my own and mnake it work but if I can put it like they made it that would be better!

Thanks again

Sean

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 De Vaux

The Durant Motors Automobile Club