Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Identify car?

Hi everyone:
Last Tuesday I had a neighbor give me a call and ask if I could help him identify what he thought was a Durant with a early Chevy motor.

Flints yes, Durants NO!

I told him I would post some pics and we would see what happens. So... here are the pics... Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Jim G

photo 100_6249600x452.jpg

photo 100_6246600x452.jpg

photo 100_6254600x452.jpg

photo 100_6255600x452.jpg

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Re: Identify car?

Jim-1930-31 Durant 6-17 or 6-19?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

It sure looks like my car except for the hood . 1930 durant 614

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model 614 Delux rumble seat coupe

Looks like a 617 to me.....Did the 407 have louvers in the hood? What does the future hold for this car?

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Compairing just the hood louver section with the factory pics in Durantcars I would go with the 619...407 has a space in the middle of the louvers and the 617 appears to have a longer section of louvers...Not sure what the 614 with louvers looks like.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

614 --like mine has spears on the hood --5 on each side --top one closesto the rad and going back from there. Delux model has wire spoke wheels
Ken

Hi All......

What does the bottom edge of the hood look like?

If it is straight across I don't think it is a 619.

Neat find Jim, make room it the shed!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Some

Hi again
Thanks for all the input. It appears that most everyone is concentrating on the hood. This car has an early '30s Chevy motor and radiator... could the hood also be from a chevy? Wish I had taken more pics.
The owner tells me he is just going to sell this car. Pretty rough!

Here are a couple more pics for you viewing. Jim G.

photo 100_6247600x452.jpg

photo 100_6248600x452.jpg

photo 100_6252.jpg

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

The firewall, cowl and bead work have 30 Durant written all over it. Wire weels and side mount tell me it could be a 614 deluxe coupe. The 6-14 standard had spears on the hood. Louvers were used on all other models. Must have gotten a heart transplant at some point,, a 30,31,32 chevy radiator would have fit the hood I think. Looks like a mid to late 30's Chevy stovebolt to me.....

Kn

Where Are You From? Kent Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant

We've discussed 614 hoods before and can be spear or louvers based on what the dealer sold car with.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion 1932 614 Durant sedan

Pic shows holes in fenders for fender lights and dash seems to have hole for the 30 instrument cluster.

Can't be a 619 as hoods I think are same as the E and 670 Frontenac with bigger sides at back for the dropped frame. Also 1930 hood is piano hinge and 31 / 32 are chromed sliding strip both halves of hood swing in like the 32 Fords and Plymouths. B42 Mac trucks of the late 40's early 50's use identical hood clamps but stainless steel strips miles too long. Just cut them shorter for our 31 / 32 cars. That sure lets 619 out as does the dash plate.

407 hood has louvers but space mid center without.

I'd say this was a 1930 deluxe 614 coup originally.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion 1932 614 Durant sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club