Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elmer Gustafson

Elmer Gustafson and collector restorer Bert Laberett stand beside a Star touring car they restored and brought to my fathers home to take pictures and go for a spin. It was around 1969 and I was 14 getting my hands on experiance with old cars. Also an early Durant club news letter and envelope
date Jan. 1 1971, with a money order made out to ,,,Gary Kauffman!

Later, around 1980 Elmer passed away ,,he had just retired and was going to restore the Durant car I have now.

Kn

Where Are You From? Kent Wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant

Re: Elmer Gustafson

Keith
What great history of your car. And to think the old fossil Gary Kaufman is still around too! ha ha. Well he really isn't that old, but he's still a fossil. I wish I had the history of my car, I can only go back to about 1961 or so with ownership. Someone did some restoration on it, but would like to know its history.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Very few family cars of this era ever have traceable history.
But with my Durant I have the original registration from the owner who bought it. The Dealership it came from, the Washington license plate that was issued in 1930, what it was doing during the war. I am the third owner of
this almost completely original car. And to think I was gong to Hotrod it!
I have owned this car thirty three years! May 15 1980 is when I got it,,,

Kn

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Where Are You From? Kent

ELMER WOULD COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU IF YOU HOT RODDED IT. I REMEMBER HIS LETTERS FROM THE FIRST CLUB...HE WAS A GREAT DURANT LOVER AND HELPED ME MANY TIMES WITH PICTURES AND STORIES FOR THE NEWSLETTER...REST IN PEACE OLD FRIEND...REGARDS, GARY K

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes...1929 DURANT 60 AND 1924 STAR TOURING

Not to worry Gary,, I wouldn’t want Elmer OR my father haunting me ,,they were both avid collectors and preservationist who liked keeping the cars of their era in as original condition as possible. The Interior of my car is completely original . The front seat is getting a little tattered and should be replaced but I really hate to do that . I won’t even put turn signals on .

Shown here , my brother and I “learn to drive” the inferior Ford Model T.
Ford continues to get the historical nod for putting America on wheels while Billy Durant’s contribution to automobile history goes largely ignored,,,

photo DKfordT_zps9ead6eb3.jpg

Durant chases a '31 Plymouth coupe across an antique bridge

photo Durantbridge.jpg

Where Are You From? Kent

The Durant Motors Automobile Club