Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shaken.... Not stirred!

Well... Finally finished converting my old top load paint shaker into a variable speed gas tank cleaner. I wasn't sure how good it was going to work, but once it was loaded with a tank I could slow it down to a snails crawl. It shakes back and forth as if I was doing it by hand.

photo 100_6184600x452.jpg

So here's the question?
This tank doesn't have alot of varnish from dried out gas, but does have a dirty grit and what appears to be a rusty film. I was thinking of putting in a some BB's and a weak prep acid solution. When clean... I'll use a tank sealer.

What would you use?

What would you use if it had varnish?

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Re: Shaken.... Not stirred!

Jim, Do you have access to a supply of walnut shells? BBs could due damage to the inside of the tank no matter how careful you are. Finely ground walnut shells are used to airblast. Or basic sand providing the inside is dry.

Where Are You From? Kokomo,Ind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Speedster

Jim, I forgot to mention, those are real nice signs in the background.

Jim I like the tank shaker and I would look under Harbor Frieght for the walnut sheel medium

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Don and Dennis... thanks for the replys,
I didn't really think of the walnut shells, sounds like a good idea. I live in Eastern Ohio and only about 15 minutes from the TIP... the sandblast cabinet and tool company. I'll get over their way the first of the week. It was also suggested that I add a thick rubber pad underneath the tank for protection while it's shaking.
Dennis, the Star sign was given to me by one of my daughters boyfriends a few years ago and is a 20 footer. The others are just some I gathered locally. There was a Star sign on Craigslist... I think Michigan... but the guy wanted something like $900 for it. Way too much!
Thanks again, Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Jim, Have you tried the walnut shells yet and if so did you have any luck?

Hi Dennis
Using the walnut shells was my goal, but I thought maybe it was best to blast the outside of the tank first. Well, wouldn't you know I found a couple of pin holes on the end near the top. The good news is that the metal wasn't thin... the bad news, it still needed to be welded!

I then went back to the blast room and reached inside as good as I could with the blaster hose. After about 2 hours of a blow gun and shop vac, I re-mounted it on the shaker and loaded it with a gallon of metal prep claener.

The inside look pretty decent... maybe good enough to weld, but I took 1 more precaution.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words?? What do you think?

photo 100_6220600x452.jpg

It welded quick and easy
Frank said he got a bang out of this pic Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Jim, Necessity is the mother of invention. And since it worked never knock it. Can you imagine what would have happened if you had used BBs? It's a nice solution. It kind of reminds me of my high school days when my friends would put shackles on their cars and I suggested to use a porta power tool to make it easy and it did. Have fun with your project. A hint to anyone working on their leaf springs

My experience:

Used cleaned 1/2 crushed gravel and rolled and re-rolled, repeat 3 times...

Then

The bottom of the tank was flattened out due to the car bottoming out. So I figured to solve was to apply a little air pressure to the tank. Gosh-darn.. tank bottom popped out 75%. Geez, good idea, little more air... now popped out 85%, Hmmmmmmm this works... A little more air and wammmmooooo one end of gas tank blew out.

At this cleaning out the tank was really easy to clean....... Soldered end back on and presto.

Tank Clean

Guy

Guy, I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law (by experience). Example; I'll try one more turn with the nut and bolt, i.e. experience is the best teacher and OJT

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star speedster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club