Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ring gear/carrier

Has anyone ever removed the 8 rivets that hold the ring gear to the carrier in a '29 rear end? I know that most if not all the Durants and Stars had this configuration. I need to match up a good carrier with a good ring gear and was wondering if anybody had done this already, i.e., can you replace the rivets with bolts & nuts and what else to watch out for. Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Re: ring gear/carrier

I am sure I saw something about this on the web somewhere. think it can be done but the article I saw explained how to do it --Proper sequence of bolting the new one in - I will look for it tomorrow and see if maybe I can find it .
Ken

Phil --cant find the article I read. I am quite sure it said to tighten 4 bolts first -then the other 4 after - In a square pattern. Just snub up--then tighten . I know I read it somewhere. Sure got a good memory but its awful short
Ken

Thanks Ken-I think I will just remove the rivets and put in Grade 8 bolts and nuts and go from there. Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Phil, You may want to look into getting grade 8 Shoulder bolts if available so they will fit snugly in the ring/carrier, also use locktite on the grade 8 nuts.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club