Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine Plate Screws

Does anyone know the size/TPI of the screws that mount the engine data plate to the side of the block?

Thanks,
Jim

Where Are You From? Illinois

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

Re: Engine Plate Screws

Those are called "drive screws". They have a very coarse thread and are hammered in place. They are generally about 1/16" dia.
I suppose one could drill and tap for #4 screws, but in any case, be careful to seal the holes against oil leaks from the crankcase.

Restoration Supply Company carries drive screws, some of our cars also use drive screws to secure the data plates on the firewall

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

So, these holes go clear through to the inside of the motor? Maybe mine have paint in them as I wasn't aware they went all the way in????? Yikes- good to know.

I wonder if anyone has had luck in using a threaded screw inside of a "drive screw?" I'd prefer to not invest in more exotic screws if I could. Trying to save a few bucks where I can.

Thanks,
Jim

Where Are You From? Illinois

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

As above the drive screws from Restoration Supply Company work. Just in the process of putting my motor back together. Part # "NUT796" works fine. At $0.18 each, not a large investment.

Cheers

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

The Durant Motors Automobile Club