Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W5 Rear Main Engine Seal

Has anyone used a replacement to the felt in the rear main seal for a W5? If so, what did you use?

It's the last felt seal that I have to eliminate.

Thanks
Shane

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

Re: W5 Rear Main Engine Seal

Hi Shane,

I've used rubberized cork that I found at a local gasket supply store. I also coated the friction surface with a graphite goo just to make sure it slips well on the face of the crankshaft.

Good luck with your rebuild.

Claude Lavoie

Where Are You From? Iroquois, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D-60

Hi Shane,

I reciently converted my Flint 6-W Continental rear main seal over to accept a small block chevy seal, I used the style having the offset lip...I'm not sure if this method would work or not on the W-5, anyway the conversion did require some minor machining to the back of the block as the chevy seal has a 3/16" grouve and the block land is about 5/16", I also needed to machine a flat sealing surface behind the slinger on the rear of the crankshaft as the 6-W crankshaft is tappered in the area that the seal will contact...The chevy seal needs to be pushed into place and trimed to length.

milling block seal area

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 coup / '25 Flint H-40

Thanks Claude and Bill. I'll see what I can do from your assistance.

Cheers
Shane

Shane,

I have heard that there are also a couple of 14-L continental engines that are using a two piece 350 chevy seal, I don't have any details so not sure if those engines required any machining or what may have been involved in their retrofit.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Shane, Did you follow up on the advice from Bill Hoaglan.
Bill, any further details on the 14L adaption, I am looking at a 15L motor
rear seal.

Where Are You From? Canberra

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D66

Hi Phil,
Actualy, the machine shop that I was told that converted the 14-L engines with the 350 chevy seals that I spoke of would not not release any details involved in their conversion.

I looked at using a number of different seals including a rope seal but nothing came as close to fitting as the 350...The 350 seal is relitivly inexpensive... I might suggest if your continental looks similar to the pictures above, pick one up and fit the one half of the seal in the filler block as above, then do some serious measuring, lay the crank in the block and see where the seal strikes the crank also check for how much the seal lip is loaded, too heavy of load will heat and burn the seal, the grove arount the seal is 3/16" my filler block was just a couple of thousands over so with a little sanding you can fit that half of the seal in bacicly with no modification, just need to flush up the seal half on one side and mark and trim the other to length...If it doesn't work out you are only out about 16 bucks for the seal...Oh, on the standard 350 seal the lip is centered in the seal and the "off-set" style has the lip at the inside edge, this is to relocate the seal lip if the crank were to become worn...Anyway, good luck with your engine and let us know what you come up with.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Thanks Bill, Pity that machine shop wasn't a little more caring. They must have wanted to corner a huge market!!!
Regards
Phil D.

Where Are You From? Canberra

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D66

Hi Phil

I've haven't had a chance to look at the rear main yet. Next on the list hopefully.

Cheers
Shane

The Durant Motors Automobile Club