Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rugby / Star F Model.

Does anyone know the precise date when the first model F was first produced.

Where Are You From? Armidale NSW Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Rugby / Star F Model.

I have a 1924 star model F 4dr touring car with a w4 continental engine. Ineed a distributor,cap,rotor,ect. "THE NEW SERIES" MODEL F was introduced in 1924 and was poduced until 1926. Then it was replaced by the model M.

Where Are You From? tulalip,wa. usa

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 star touring

Thanks Frank.
My fathers Diary states that he purchased it in October 1923.
I know sales commenced in Australia in July 1923, but I was thinking he may have wrote down the wrong year.There appears to be eleven of the 1923 C model Rugby/Star in Australia and New Zealand. A gentleman in Mildura Victoria has one which I have seen.My Rugby has a front bumper Bar that is different from others that I have seen, but the rest seems to be like the New F series.
It also had some letters burnt into the wood work, first letter not rearable then ansin and last letter unreadable also.

Regards Robert Heath.

I would say first letter is 'L' last letter 'G' Lansing
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant -model 614-deluxe rumble seat coupe

Somewhere I have an old copy of the "Standard" that makes reference to the "F25" models which had front wheel brakes. -Hal

Where Are You From? Pullman,WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? pile of Star parts

my f has front brakes....california model i am told has them

Where Are You From? s.e. penna.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 sedan ; 1925 star f roadster

Hi all.....

My 1925 Model F touring also has front brakes. It is a California car also. I think all California manufactured Stars had 4 wheel brakes.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? A few

Thanks Ken for your information.
My Rugby here has only rear brakes.

I am going to confuse things by reporting that I have a California Star with two-wheel-brakes. The data plate says "Star of California" model - F, C-200503. It is a rolling chassis with a cut-off touring body, W-4,the driveshaft removed and used with a governer as a buzz-saw. It has disc wheels. It really doesn't look as though the axle was changed - there is no sign of linkage going forward to the front, but who knows? One repair manual for the F dated 1925shows one chassis photo with front braks and one without. No mention in this Star repair manual of how to care for the brakes! -Hal

Where Are You From? Pullman,WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? pile of Star parts

I know of at least one California Star built in 1924 with front brakes and it has been my belief that the Oakland factory supplied them as an option.
Norman Devaux who ran and owned part of that factory sold many Stars to the City of San Francisco where the hills would have made front brakes a necessity.

From what I’ve seen in some of the parts manuals, Oakland was the only factory offering front brakes on Stars until 1927. Now Cars made in Oakland were exported to the north West were the mountain roads would make selling front brakes easier. The factory also shipped cars to the south west where cars buyers that lived on flat ground may have felt the added cost of front brakes not for them. That’s why I think you’ll see a mix of California cars with and without front brakes. Keep in mind that the factory may have always put front brakes on some models and not others too.

Hal, My CA 1926 Star has (2) wheel brakes with no apparent changes. But who knows?

Where Are You From? Kokomo,Ind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Speedster

The 1924 Star Model F start date is August 1st. 1923. With Lansing serial#'s from L-200000 to L-230712, California serial#'s C-21012 to C-214191, Toronto serial#'s T-200000 to T-206108, and Elizabeth N.J. serial#'s E-200000 to E-260016. I know this is confusing to some that model years were produced ahead of their calendar year but it's still a practice which is going on today. I have listed the serial number ranges for the various plants so it might help others identify where their vehicle might fit into these listings as both the Model C & F were made at the same factories at the same time.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933/34 Frontenac C-400

Robert and others, the serial#s I have shown are strictly for the 1924 Star Model F vehicles, the 1924 Star Model C's have a different set of numbers as does the 1925 Star Model F's. Hope this information has helped you and others.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933/34 Frontenac made by Dominion Motors Canada

Thanks Steve, you have been a great help with your information. Robert.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Rugby Tourer ,my father first car !

SOMEONE CAN TELL ME WHERE AGAINST Rugby RADIATOR COVER MODEL f

Where Are You From? japao

Do You own a car built by Durant? possuo Rugby model F E297702

The Durant Motors Automobile Club