Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rust remover

I seem to recall a message on the web a few days back about some home made rust remover. I know it had ATF (automatic transmission fluid ) as one ingredien- but I cant remember the second ingredient. Can anyone tell me what it is? I know it is a half and half mix . have a feeling it is Acetone but not sure. Anyone remember this stuff?
Thanks -
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Deluxe rumble seat coupe- Model 614

Re: rust remover

Hi Ken......

Acetone & ATF make a good penetrating oil. The mix is 50/50.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

Ken I've heard of using molasses(yes the sugar by-product) as a cheap homemade rust remover. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

did you say...MOLE ASSES.....to remove rust?????? Really ???

Where Are You From? s.e. penna.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 sedan ; 1925 star f roadster

I have found the best rust remover is EVAPO-RUST can get it at Autozone

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

You might try baking soda and vinegar-50/50 mixture.

Where Are You From? Kokomo,Ind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Speedster

My favorite rust removal product is Evap-O-Rust.
While it will work by rubbing it on ligthly rusted surfaces, for the tough stuff I let it soak overnight.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 & 1931 Model 619

Sounds a lot like the "Ed's Red" bore cleaner I use for firearms.
But that is a 4 equal part mix: ATF (Dexron), Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Acetone.
Works great for guns - as a cleaaner and corrosion remover/prevention. Adding lanolin adds long term corrosion protection. For just rust removal probably don't need all those things. My son uses white vinegar and it cleans rust off great.

Where Are You From? IA

I guess I wasnt very bright with this post--Frank got the right answer for me . I was looking for penetrating oil-Not rust remover. Sure got a lot of good info from this note tho--thanks to all the guys who replied.
Ken

Ken- I thought you were past the rust removal stage and into the reassembly process. So I thought you might be onto your next project! But I thought you'd need to take a break after the nightmare you've been through with this one. Anyway, Happy New Year. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross
It was not a nightmare--Really it was a labour of love- I still have a lot to do to make it a really nice car-But it looks okay and drives well so I now have something to go to the car shows in
See you in San Diego
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club