Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Brakes

Sirs
Am looking for informed sources concerning my '27 Star Touring brakes.
I am fixing my rear brakes and trying to do it right this time.
I have done it previously but not worrying about hardware just putting new linings.

But, my wear is uneven. It has to do with a unturned drum which I will get rectified. But also it is the FORKs holding the brake shoes in place are a problem. The pins have worn where the shoes touch them. The wear is severe on the footbrake pins (versus emergency brake which were less wore); last year I switched these pins around so emergency ones became foot ones. That helped but, removing the brakes again this winter, I see the problem still exists.

MY question "Has anyone rebuilt these pins to get them back in round?". If so please tell me the procedure taken.

appreciating any knowledge
guy

Also : www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZSKKdHoh0
New youtube showing (pardon my english) Korean American (who looks like Carlos Santana)in San Fransisco. I met the man in Vancouver in 2011, appreciated the man but never locked in on his name. On the youtube, he appears half-cut (but in good health) and talks about 4 or 5 Stars/Durants parked on the street. I think Rick Botti's car was there.
Would sure appreciate a name and phone number for this cowboy.

Where Are You From? Peace River AB CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '27 Touring M

Re: Rear Brakes

Guy thanks for posting that YouTube video, I had been looking for that interview but never found it before.
That cowboy is James Miller aka Carlos Santana is the person the person being interviewed on the last day of our Spring Tour in Modesto, California. The city had blocked off all parking on that side of the street and reserved it for our cars.

Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZSKKdHoh0

Hi Guy....

Check with any Model A Ford supplier. There is an oversize pin available that may help your situation.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

In the process of my restoration I did a complete rear brake rebuild on my '26 Coupe. I cut off the shoe mounting shaft as well as the shaft that mounts the assembly to the rear diff. Where the old shafts were, I drilled through the backing plate and when I made the the new shafts, I stepped them to fit into the holes and then plug welded them from the back side. My holes in the shoes were worn as well so they got filled with weld and re-drilled to fit the new shafts. I also had to cut new key ways in the mounting shafts. The new brake lining and rivets came from a place in Edmonton. It comes in the proper width and by what ever length you ask for, I can get the specifics for you if you need them. If you email me I will reply with my phone number if you have any questions.

Brian.

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star R coupe

Thought I would include a couple of pictures of what my brake pins look like.

I read solution posted by Brian Domney but am having hard time accepting cutting off pins and rewelding new ones. My brain doesn't like this type of manipulation of vital casted brake parts.

Opinions please:

tx
guy

Where Are You From? Peace River AB CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '27 Touring M

You could have them built up by a welder and reshape them with a file and emery cloth. This process would be painfully long as weld is hard. I considered all factors when reworking mine. I decided to go with cutting and welding in new parts as I have all the equipment in my shop to do it properly and am a Journeyman welder. I don't believe you could put enough pressure with the manual brake system to shear off welded pins if done properly. I would think you would bend the linkage rods first. Just my opinion.

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star R coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club