Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
What did you do with your Durant today?

Thought I'd start this post so we can keep up on what everyone is doing with their car. Now that it's getting cold up in the North county, Winter is the time many start their projects. Down here in sunny Florida we don't have winter so to speak so we can work on our cars all year, except maybe in the Summer when it's too hot. Won't work on my car today, but yesterday I spent the afternoon sanding the last 13 spokes on my four wheels. Now they are all sanded, and have two coats of stain on them. Next week, maybe Monday I start putting 5 coats of Epithane Marine grade varnish on them. I'll also drop off the fellows, and rims that I have to the blaster to get nice and clean ready for the paint. Fellows, hubs and outer brake drum will be Riviera green color. Rims will be silver. Haven't ordered the paint yet, but will from Autocolor Library people. Very helpful in matching original colors. I still need that one rim that I've been searching for. I have 4 that match, but my spare is different. I'll post some pictures next week. So lets hear what you've been doing.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: What did you do with your Durant today?

Today I started gathering information to pass on the the guy rebuilding the 22A motor I bought from Ken McCormick, its a useable block being bored to 30 over. The block in my car is cracked-not leaking through the silicon patch but not worth rebuilding now that I have a good one. We will probably use the head off the engine currently in my roadster is it is in better condition. any assistance would be welcome. I'm looking for gaskets. Planning on ordering pistons from Arias. Mike, i need the color code for the engine paint. Started rebuild the Gabriel snubbers off my 25 Packard with the help on the tech page.

Where Are You From? Ithaca Ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 deluxe roadster

Not much-- just looked it over and saw all the bad parts of it-- too many to tell about. Still have to get the brakes working- then maybe I will try to fix the bad parts. bit by bit I guess I will make it look better but at least it runs
Ken

Hello Mike,
I just delivered my coupe to my pal who will strip it down of usable durant parts and return them to me.....most of the car is being parted to durantonians to continue their work on there cars....

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3....2 1929 durant model 60's and a 1925 star F roadster

Going to leak test the fuel tank I built, get a 6v fuel pump and some fuel line, lube everything up and get ready to start it.

Anyone give me some pointers on setting up a temporary wiring harness for the starter, battery, distributer etc?

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 R Coupe

Among other things, I replaced the rear spring shackles. The original Tyron type are almost impossible to find so I opted to use the 1935-42 Chrysler style. These are rubber bushings and do not require any lubrication. They fit perfectly and with no modifications. The only difference is the Chrysler style are 1/2" longer than the Tyrons. I can live with that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Hi All....

Cathy & I just returned from a leisurely drive (about 9 hours each way) to Nassanadox Virginia.

We picked up our latest addition. A 1922 B-22 Durant touring. Actually was able to start it and drive it out of the garage.

Cathy has named her "Ginny" because we got her in Virginia.

Pictures to follow when we get a chance.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? A few

Went down after voting and dropped off my 4 fellows, break drums and 4 rims to have them media blasted. Should have them back by early next week. Guy was very reasonable and I will take the rest of the car to him to have the various parts blasted. Going out today to put the second coat of Varnish on the 48 spokes. It takes about 24 hours between coats and only about 3 more to go. I'm looking at about 5 coats and I'll see what she looks like then. Still looking for that rim and Hayes Lug Bolt so if someone comes up with it give me a yell. Will post pictures of the wheel progress later.

Welp, I have shut down my Flint project for the winter in Leavenworth,WA an am now in Yuma about ready to start back on my '29 model 40 coupe project, I did manage to upholster the seat and door pannels and brought them down with me...The wood framing has been replaced and the body attached but will need to be removed as a unit for final bodywork and painting of both body and chassis....First I plan on doing a little gold prospecting out in the dessert, who knows I might strike it rich.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / model 40 Coupe / 25 Flint

Well yesterday I put the 4th and probably final coat of Epithanes marine varnish on my spokes. They look great if I do say so myself. Blaster called me and has my fellows, break drums and rims done. I ordered the Riviera Green paint from TCP Global/ Autocolor library people and my hub bolts from Macs auto parts. So I hope by the middle of next week I will be able to start painting them and then putting them together. Once they are done then I'm on to the front axle disassembly, blasting and painting.

Mike...I am curious how much tighter your spokes will be when you re-assemble your wheels after applying several coats of varnish to the spokes and painting the hubs and fellows.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / model 40 Coupe / 25 Flint

Hi Bill, I am too. I was very careful not to sand the parts of the spoke that fit together both at the hub and the fellow. I also only applied one coat of varnish to those parts while I put 4 coats on the other part. I'm writing an article for the Partner on the whole process so I don't want to give too much away ahead of time, but I was careful to number each hub, fellow and each spoke so that reassembly should be OK. Next week I hope to apply paint to the fellows and hub and start reassembly. Stay tuned.

Last weekend , the cable guy finally got to my place to restore phone & internet cable service after being down for several days.

While on the side of the house he asked "What's that" and I told him a 30 Durant 610 and also told him the whole Billy Durant story. Too bad he did not want to buy it and then join our club! ha,ha, his loss!

Last week I picked up a 1971 Volkswagen camper Bus and everyone has asked me if I'm going "Hippy" and going on the road to follow the "Grateful Dead" rock group, ect. (missed all that while in Viet Nam). I just chuckle, but it sure is fun and will be great to take fishing & camping this Spring.

Make Love not War, Peace and Love Brothers!

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

i have seen a few vw buses for sale around phila and jersey craigslists

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3....2 1929 durant model 60's and a 1925 star F roadster

There is a fella up in Frogjump, Arkansas that uses them for chicken houses,,,,,

What am I doing with my Durant today? Leaving them where they are. We are trying to figure out what to do with 9" of snow, 50 uprooted large diameter oaks, the loss of all the food in the freezers and refrigerators after losing power for 7 days.

But, we are surviving.

charlie and peg

Where Are You From? NJ CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

Charlie,
Again my sympathies on your recent spate of very bad weather to you, your wife and neighbors. Good that you now have power and are starting to recover, as are most others up there.

Often after a Hurricane here I really get upset that everyone jumps up and cuts their trees quickly into 3 foot sections. What a huge waste of good trees, then they have to be disposed of by debris removal to a landfill at additonal expense! In a previous storm we had 600 down in my neighborhood area, with over 1200 down just in my town. But our trees are mostly pine, with only a few hardwoods, so not so valuable. However that many mature Oaks that you have are a real boon, they could be saved and reused, thus turned into a recovery asset.

There are many inexpensive portable sawmills available for the small operator and I just wish I could get up there with you to harvest this group of trees by cutting them into 12' or 14' foot lengths. Then we could run them through the portable sawmill, making a tragedy into something usefull. This new added timber would then be much needed and appreciated by all, and this could help in your neighborhood's and area's rebuild process. Turning waste into something needed.

Just a thought from someone down here in Florida, who probably does not understand your local rules, license and other restrictions. Sure would be good as a "New" startup business though, wouldn't it!

Again Stay safe and keep well.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Hi all, Hope all are recovering from your storms over there.

As to this thread, I had a very plesant Sunday.

I awoke this Sunday morning after a sleep in to 8am, had a lovely breakfast and with the day being a sunny 24deg and blue skies, dropped the roof on old Ruby, fueled her up and put my wife in beside me... Destination, the Milltown old wood days. Milltown is only 25 miles north of our home and with a pace of 45-50mph it was a lovely drive.

The Milltown wood days is held once a year and raises money for kids with cancer. It is set in the bush. Saturday morning starts with the clysdales draging back large trunks of tree's that have been cut down as they did the old days. From there, all sorts of old style woodworking is able to be seen. from horses on treadmills, large handsaws, one guy on top and the other below in a pit. All old style.

Yes there are some modern ways to compare it against, times have changed. Old fencing using only hand tools and wood, cricket bats made by hand, old machined up axe handles, etc. All in all, a great weekend. They had raised $10000 on the Saturday and i hope they raised similar today.
So arriving in the Rugby we were treated with VIP parking, allowed to go in to the main area, and yes, the Rugby did attract it's fair amount of attention. We spent a few hours there and then headed for home. The Rugby driving so well, I used it the reast of the day for shopping etc.
I've attached some pics for you all.

Take care
Kevin

Where Are You From? Portland, Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby

Wow Kevin, sounds like a great day and and a good day to drive the Rugby. Days like that are the days we all live for. Wife by the side, along with the other love (Rugby), and good weather and a place to go to. And if the car runs great, that's the icing on the cake!

I have a list of projects to complete to the 29 Roadster before I bring the 31 model 619 home from storage. Today I'll try to install the oil pressure gauge I got form Bob in Traverse City and then look for a way to repair the steering wheel or find a new wooden one. The old wood portion of the wheel is old and won't be able to take a larger wood screw to hold it to the spider. I plan is to drill new holes about two inches away from the original holes for a temp fix. But I would like to find a new wood portion wheel, the original one is over 80 years old and will fail someday.

Next I will remove the tie rod, I need to apply heat to both ends in order to turn them out and adjust the frontend alignment. Then I have to remove the radiator splash apron and send it to the painter. That will be a big job that I'm not excited about, but I have to get it done. Then Adjust all of the brakes. I drive the car a lot and adjusting the brakes is something that must be done regularly. Next year I will replace the brake pad after this last adjustment is worn out.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Sport Roadster

Lance

A portable sawmill sounds like a great alternative to cutting the trees into sections. In our situation, we had 20 large diameter oak trees that were totally uprooted, and to move them from our back yard to where they could be sawn into long boards would have been a large challenge. Getting the equipment back there, and then trying to maneuver a 40' to 60' tree would have been very difficult. We have had several people pick up the short sections for use as fire wood.

Also, a lot of the trees snapped 30' in the air and are or were just hanging, and many of them had to be taken down in sections.

Unless you can get a crane to do the lifting, it would be most difficult to try to harvest the downed trees for lumber, but I would have agreed if someone had the ability to do that.

We and all of our neighbors have power, and are trying to get back to normal, and for some that could take a year or more. But we are Jersey Strong, and we will recover.

thanks to all of you for your concerns and prayers.

Where Are You From? NJ CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

I've been reading the posts and will give my input on this one. As alot of you know, I have been steady at my project and haven't commented in quite a long time. The finished and complete running gear has been stored and ready for the body to be at the point when it can be mounted to the frame. All of the body wood structure has been machined from rough-cut and dried ash wood and I am in the process of fitting them together and to the sheet metal cladding. The cowl and windshield is fit and the joints are screwed and glued as it originaly was. All four door jambs are in place and doors are hung and fit. The quarter window frames are complete, fitted and mounted in place. Presently I am fitting the rear beltline wood to the rear upper and lower wrap around metal units. Next, the rear seat back upright supports, rear window frame and courtesy light supports will be mounted. The finished roof cross bows material needs to be steamed and bowed to match the original curves. It's been a fun and challenging ride so far as each stage of the restoration process presents itself.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? D75

Steven, I plan to be traveling thru your area on the 30th. Email sent to your box.

Do You own a car built by Durant? And Now, A 1929 Durant D60

My weekend with the 614 was great, finally back from the paint shop, and short of a bit more black trim around the windows and roof, we're close! Another Durant back from the dead. The pic shows her going into winter storage, until I can get back to the finishing touches in the spring. This one is a Canadian Durant, sold here in my hometown: theres' a spare tire cover advertising the dealership that was with the car, and in useable shape, (we are the second owners)

Where Are You From? Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614

Kenneth:
What info were you able to gather to give to your engine builder? I have a 31 22A that needs put together. I know it's not rocket science but could use any helps available.

Where Are You From? IA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '31 619

Last week I tested a new video camera mounted on the Roadster's windshield. The camera made the hood look longer and I think I like that. Average speed was 45 mph, but I hit 50 a couple of times. Pretty cold out, the sun was going down and the cold wind wasn't helping.

The video was then compressed for use on YouTube so it lost must of its focus and brightness, but it got the job done.

The film was taken out back of my place on a 4 mile stretch of road on the Fremont Newark border and this is the road I drive most often when I want to take the Durant out for a test drive.

http://youtu.be/FQGWQerMNgM

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 & 1931 Model 619

Hey Rick I could feel the wind in my hair! What hair I have left. Sounds like she was running great!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Hello everyone;

With snow on the ground and all of my projects on the back burner, I've been working on Frank and Cathy's '26 Star Roadster.

The body, doors and deck lid are all in urethane primer awaiting a final block sanding. I'm currently working both rear fenders and once they're in prime, the body can be removed for painting and the chassis work can begin.

I've also recently installed a new variable speed motor on an older paint shaker which I plan to use to clean the inside of gas tanks. I'm not sure how good this will work but I thought it was worth a try!

Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Jim, That sounds like an original idea on a gas tank cleaner...I was thinkin about rigging up the large Samson windmill that I have in my yard to clean gas tanks, just hook a chain to one end of the tank and the other to the pump staff...Should get good aggitation when the wind blows.

Rick, cool ride in your Roadster...Those Auzzie pistons sound pretty good going up and down.

Happy New Year!

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 coup / '25 Flint H-40

I started it up and ran it for a few minutes in the shop. Just keeping the battery up and the oil ciculating--I am going to drive it this summer. It isnt the best restoration but it dont look to darn bad either. I will be doing a lot of cosmetic work on it as I drive it .
Ken

I have'nt done much with my Durant lately but I did manage to get the brakes redone,,

Have a great New Year Durantonians!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 sedan

Hey Keith;
What did you use for Brake pads, and where did you get them.

Mike:
The brake material can be ordered from the McMaster Carr Co. They will have the correct thickness and width material. You will have to cut it to length.

As for my progect, I am still working on the wood structure for the body and hope to have it completed soon. The next step is to start preparing the sheet metal for mounting and paint.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Mike, I had my shoes installed by a NW brakes in Seattle. They have been in business since 1935. Important note, and I was told this by older wiser
men than me. Use the fabric material that was used for these cars when they were new and NOT the newer composite style. It is still available. Why? Because the older metalurgy on our drums does not disperse heat very well. The composite matererial although it would seem to be better, actually heats up more but the drums do not disperse this heat. The result is the composite shoes will glaze. I have made this mistake on the Durant and on my '54 Plymouth. Changing over to fabric style shoes solved the glazing problem. When I got my '55 Packard I was told the brakes were recently done.
A year later I had glazing on the shoes. I switched it over to fabric shoes and now that 5,000 lb behemoth stops when I want it to stop!
Hope that helped,,,
kn

So Keith is this the same stuff McMaster Carr sells or do you know where to get the correct stuff at?

Alright, on Thursday 01/03/2013 we had a sunny warm day here in Central Florida so I put epoxy primer on my hubs, fellows and outer brake drums. Next sunny day will sand and re-prime and then on to paint.

Mike,, I am not sure where the material came from. In the meantime ,,
a little valve lapping, a new head gasket and detailing for my ten year maintenance.

On Monday I put the final primer coat on the drums, hub and fellows and hope to give them the Riviera Green paint on Friday or Saturday. Then it's on to assembly. Spokes have been done for weeks and they look great. Will post pictures by this weekend.

Sanded the final coat of primer down yesterday, and then painted the hub, fellow and brake drum with the Riviera green paint for the 1928 sedan. I used Acrylic Enamel purchased by TCP Global in San Diego to paint with. They had the original paint chip set from 1928 and was able to mix the paint in the original color. I like the color, kind of a medium green, not to dark and not to light. I choose the acrylic enamel for its hardness and durability since it will be on the wheels. The car will be done in basecoat/clearcoat in the same color with a lighter trim. Since I am not a real painter, except for spay cans, it was a challenge. I made a make shift paint booth out of a corner of a friends garage. I have no room in my garage with Durant parts all over the place. Suspended the parts from wires and sprayed away. I purchased a fresh air machine so I would not have to breathe those dangerous fumes and a good professional paint gun. I haven't examined each piece yet, but I hope they came out fine. This week coming up I hope to put them all back together and press the spokes into the fellow and put the hub in. There will be an article in the Partner on the restoration process. After this, on to the front axle.

Managed to get my vacuum tank mounted and connected!

Where Are You From? Oswego, IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

Hey Jim, she's looking real good. Are we going to see your car at one of our get togethers. You have upstate New York in April, Charlotte, North Carolina next year 2014 in September. I'm shooting to have mine done by then so I can bring her to that one. My motto is if you got them drive them!

Mike,
I hope to simply have it running by spring and fine tune any mechanics and see how it runs and what transpires from there. My kids are young and into everything from sports to clubs so my available time to make shows and gatherings many states away is severely limited. Probably won't make national git-togethers unless they are nearby- but then again I won't rule anything out for sure.

Looking forward to hearing that Star purr sometime in the coming months. My motto is also - Cars need to be seen, heard and smelled, so drive 'em!

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star Roadster

Hello everyone:

A couple of weeks ago, We were fortunate enought to have a 60 degree day here in Ohio.
This rare January day gave me the chance to let the Star bask in the sunshine while I cleaned up weeks of dirt and trash from the priming and bodywork. I'm now priming and block sanding heading toward color.

Here's a couple of pics of my latest progress:

photo 100_6017600x452.jpg

photo 100_6015600x452.jpg

photo 100_6019600x452.jpg

Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Sure looks great, Jim! Keep up the great restoration!

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

Well I spent the afternoon putting my wheel together. Took my wheels apart a couple of months ago, stripped each spoke and sanded and refinished it using 4 coats of marine grade varnish. After sandblasting I painted my fellows, hubs, front break drum the Riviera Green color that the car originally came with. Purchased new hub bolts from Mac's and the fit fine. This afternoon I started re-assembly. A slow process as I did not want to scratch the new paint. Got one together but ran out of time. they are tight as a drum and solid. Will continue with the rest on Saturday and then on to the front axle and springs. I'll post a picture of the wheels on Saturday.

We have all are parts on hand to start reassembling the motor now that i have pulled the one with cracked block out. I was able to pull the motor after removing only one fender and slipping it out at an angle. We're reusing some of the valves,the original head,and the new pistons from Arias. I have a very good machine shop -Cortland Precision near me doing the reassembly after remilling everything needed. i had a local machinist remake the crank seals in aluminum after the original pot metal ones turned to dust. The fuel pump is rebuilt thanks to a kit from Frank Witowski. The carb was rebuilt after milling pot metal that had warped. I managed to locate the wire wheel that i needed to complete the six that my car needed. i now have a spare 19 inch and a 18 inch wire wheel extra. We are experimenting with wheel colors today. The radiator shell is at the chrome shop so it will shortly look like it should. Called the instrument/gauge rebuilders for my fuel gauge at Phoenix Repair in Davenport IA again -its been a year guys! I have decided on a suitable gray/green paint for the motor. I heard from Reg that my canvas side curtains should catch up with me at the Corning meet in April.

Where Are You From? ithaca

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 614 deluxe roadster

With the body of the Star block sanded and reprimed, it's now time to work on the chassis while the primer dries for a month.

The condition of this chassis is not too bad mechanically, but the cosmetics sure do leave alot to be desired! I basically removed everything except the rearend and headed toward the blast booth.

photo 100_6071600x452.jpg
 photo 100_6083600x452.jpg

Blasted the top side, then turned it over and blasted the underside. When I was finished, I left it upside down and moved it back to my front garage. There, I removed all of the brakes and hardware and cleaned and repacked the bearings to prepare for painting.

photo 100_6099600x452.jpg

Then, into the paint booth for paint.

photo 100_6123600x452.jpg

Next, The drive train.
Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

As promised here is some photographs of the wheel work I've done so far:

Before:

Original wheel on the 1928 Durant photo 100_3148.jpg

After:

photo IMG_0257.jpg

photo IMG_0258.jpg

Mike:
Looking pretty good. Now to do the others
We have had too much snow in the last three days. I am sore from shoveling, even though my neighbour blew the driveway for me.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac by Dominion motors Ltd

it looks nice mike....don't forget to sand clean the brake contact surface inside the drum....

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Today John Price and myself put on John's '28 M2 a pair of homemade grab bars and started to refinish our spare set of wheels.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

1 2 3

The Durant Motors Automobile Club