Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: 2013 DMAC San Diego

Charlie,
I need the address of the San Diego Marriott. I have Marriott Gift Cards that Iwould like to use for the trip. If they will not let me use them for the discounted rate It may pay for me to pay the full rate just to use up the cards. So I must use the phone to do so, but I need the Hotel's location.
Thank you in advance,
Ed Vomero

Where Are You From? Staten Island

Ed

I am not at home right now so I do not have that address, but our son in law is a GM of a Residence Inn, and he just said that you can use your gift cards for any Marriott. Use your credit card to hold the reservation, and then pay for it with gift cards when you arrive. But when I get home I will post the actual address

Where Are You From? NJ CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

I have added next years meet info to the Events page including hotel address and a link to its website using the info in Charlie's posting.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

Well DMAC,

The Fall Conference in San Diego (Sept 12-15) is starting to come together. We realize we will not please everyone, all of the time. That said, we are planning 3 touring trips for the 3 days. Thursday will be our "short" trip. We will be driving to the Midway and touring this great Aircraft Carrier. Ladies, I will need your assistance in the form of drivers (of modern rentals you may have) to transport the ladies from the Midway to Old Town for our outing. We will have lunch in Old Town and shop, while the guys continue to explore the Midway and then go back to the hotel for a Tech Session. (Take note, we need assistance with what type of Tech Session.)

Friday will be our "long" day with a tour to the Rancho Bernardo Winery-oldest winery in Southern California. 5 tastings will be $10. If you don't drink wine, don't worry! There is a museum, a farmers/craft market and boutique-y shops on the property as well. We are still working on a lunch stop for this trip.

Saturday will be our "medium" trip. We will head out to Cabrillo National Park (which is why we are suggesting the seniors get the National Parks Card) and tour the park, lighthouse, World War II exhibit and just take in the great views from the cliffs up there. From there we will go down to The Corvette Diner-a blast from the 50's. We will be having garbage plates (cheeseburger sliders, stuffed potato skins, fried onion rings, fried zucchini sticks and chips and salsa OR a spinach salad). The place is a favorite for the young or the young at heart. We plan on being back at the hotel by 2 PM and then will head out to our banquet at 94th Aero Squadron around 5:30 PM. This place is perfect for our group as it is like a World War 1/ II French Chateau-complete with old ambulance and bi-planes. Dinner will be a buffet of a beef, chicken and fish entrees, 4 salads, and a dessert buffet.

For those of you that are 62+, if you have a National Park Senior Pass, please bring it with you, the Senior Pass is your 'free' admission plus anyone in your car to this National Park. If you do not have one, and you live near a National Park try to get one before you depart home, if not, you can purchase a Senior Pass for $10, good for your lifetime at any and all National Parks. Normal entry fee is $5 per vehicle.

We hope this will get your appetites whetted for attending the DMAC 2013 Conference in San Diego. SD is such a wonderful city you may want to add on a few days to your trip. The Marriott Courtyard was kind enough to allow you to book the hotel at the same rate as the conference (which included breakfast AND free parking-which would run you an additional $35 a day if we had not asked for these to be part of our "group rate".

Looking forward to seeing everyone in SD!

Peggy and Charlie

and a side note, Peg has done a fantastic job of finding the places, negotiating the prices, and seeing to it that this is a destination for those of you that have never been to SD. We will be putting together the Spitz Dining Guide to San Diego, a list of what to do and see in San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes three of them

Hey Charlie
Sounds like we are going to have a great time. I know i"m in and will register when the time comes.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Hi Charlie, just had a chance to review the 3 days of touring at the Durant Meet in September. Sounds like a great schedule and should be lots of fun. I will be happy to do a 1/2+ hour tech session on the finer points of the 1928-29 Model 60 engine compartment using my car and this would also apply to the Model 40 as well. I could cover all the basics plus upgrades that I have run into which would also be interactive as members could add their own experiences to the discussion. I also have a listing of the specifications for the 1928-29 Model 40/60 that I would like to hand out. Let me know if that will work and I will plan on doing it on Thursday. Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Hi Phil.....

Sounds like an excellent idea for a tech session.

This is just the type of information that our members are looking for.

We will put you on the schedule for the session!!

Thanks for offering to help.

See you in Sept in San Diego.......

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

Phil: you got it.. and thanks for offering to be the lead on the tech session. Right now, the schedule is to be back at the hotel about 230pm on Thursday, and have the tech session to start in the 3:30 - 4 pm time frame.

At this writing, Peg has most of the activities nailed down and priced. We will be putting together a registration form in the next couple of weeks so that everyone can start planning to attend. I would suggest that those that are flying to San Diego to start making airline reservations. And hotel reservations can be made now if you like, and certainly do not wait too long.

Peg and I look forward to seeing our Durant family in San Diego.

The 2013 Annual Durant Conference is shaping up nicely! The cost for the 3 days of touring, 2 lunches and our banquet will be $110 a person.

This will cover the registration and hospitality suite goodies, the admission and parking at The Midway on Thursday, lunch on Friday’s Winery tour at Villa Capri II (Italian), Saturday’s lunch at Corvette Diner (American) after our trip to Cabrillo Park/Point Loma Lighthouse,
and the banquet Saturday night at 94th Aero Squadron (A French World War I Chateau).

The only cost for trips not included are the $10 if you choose to wine taste at Bernardo Winery and the admission to Cabrillo Park ($5 a car) [this is also known the Old Point Loma Lighthouse] if we do not put a senior in your car who has a National Parks pass, and we encourage anyone over 62 to purchase the pass, either before you arrive or on the visit to Cabrillo.

Ladies, we plan on starting the tour of the Midway at 10 AM Thursday when they open. We (the ladies) will leave the ship at 12:15 and go to Old Town to have lunch at El Patio (Mexican). It is a lovely outdoor restaurant with a lot of ambiance, and they have agreed to allow us to have individual checks for lunch, so everyone can choose what they would like to eat. After lunch there are many shops and churches to explore, Old Town is not far from the hotel, so no one should worry about getting lost. Remember, we need drivers, as our van only holds 6 others besides me driving. The men will stay on The Midway and have
lunch there, or walk to closeby restaurants to eat on their own. They will head back to the hotel shortly after 2PM to have their clinic workshop on Thursday (which will be presented by Phil Peters).

Menus are as follows:
Villa Capri
Salad
Bread and dipping sauce
Rigatoni Bolognese (meat sauce)
Penne Bizancio (tomatoes, diced eggplant, basil and mozzarella)
Tiramisu
Soft Drinks, coffee, teas

Corvette Diner
Garbage Plate of the following:
Cheeseburger sliders
Stuffed potato skins
Fried Zucchini Sticks
Onion Rings
Salsa and chips
OR Spinach Salad
(please specify garbage plate or salad when registering)

94th Aero Squadron- Buffet Style
4 Salad choices
Beef Tips
Chicken
Shrimp and Scallops on Pasta
Assorted Desserts
Tea and Coffee

We know we cannot please everyone the entire Conference, but hopefully we have provided enough variety that we will have something you enjoy!

Peg and I will be preparing a registration flyer in the next few days so that it can be posted on the DMAC website, as well as for inclusion in the next Partner. The details for deadlines will be included in the flyer. We do recommend that you make hotel reservation as soon as possible, and for those of you that are flying, those reservations should be made as well.

Anyone with questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or telephone.

Looking forward to seeing you all in San Diego in September.

Peg and I are in San Diego this week driving each of the tours, and preparing the directions. The registration flyer will be available shortly, but more importantly, do you have your hotel reservation? Do you have your airline reservation if you are flying? And if you are driving, do you have your AAA travel plans?

If you are planning on arriving during the day on Wednesday, we were wondering if anyone would be interested on showing their cars (there is no entry fee, just so up), or even attending a car show. There is small car show that is sponsored by the Chicken Pie Diner in Poway every Wednesday at 6pm. When Peg and I go, we have dinner at the Diner (the menu is 1950's comfort food and for two people the total cost is going to be about $25) about 5 pm, and then get a parking space for the car show. It is a fun evening, there is only one winner (a $10 gift certificate to the diner), but there are lots of people that stop by and ask lots of questions.

So, as we get closer, if there are attendees that want to attend we can add this to the plans, so that we can have the directions. Peg and I will only make this happen if there are members that want to do this, and we can be back at the hotel by 9 pm.

Please give us your thoughts. Thanks

UPDATE:

There is a hiccup in the computer system that takes hotel reservations, and apparently trying to correct that hiccup is very challenging.

Peg talked to the GM at the Courtyard today, he reassured her that parking is included, breakfast is included in the reservation, if you receive any information to the contrary, say thank you, and let Peg or I know, and we will make sure things are correct for your arrival in September.

So if anyone tells you parking is $18 or if breakfast is extra, just say thank you, get your reservation number, and send me an email and we will have the correct info when you arrive, and even then, talk to Peg and she will make sure that the GM fixes whatever!

See you at the Annual DMAC.

Charlie and Peg

VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE:

The following is the NEW link to make hotel reservations, this corrects the issue with the parking which is already included in the hotel room cost as is the breakfast included in the room cost, the only extra costs that you will have are whatever the sales taxes and San Diego taxes that are added on to the hotel room costs.

So, from today forward PLEASE use this link:

http://cwp.marriott.com/sancm/durantmotorsautoclub

Should, parking fees appear when you make the reservation, please ignore them for now, and we are assured by the GM that anything that is not correct will be adjusted.

thanks for your patience

Peggy and Charlie

DMAC Members

Registration for the 2013 DMAC Annual Meeting in San Diego is open. The form has been posted on the website:

http://www.dmacweb.com/events/DMAC%20Annual%20Meet%202013/Durant_Automobile_Club_Annual_Conference_Registration.pdf

Any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

We are looking forward to seeing all of you in San Diego. Once we have other information such as dining, activities, and social things, we will have them posted as well.

Peg and Charlie

DMAC Members:

The annual DMAC Meet is less than 90 days away.
Are YOU attending?
Do you have your hotel reservation?
If you are flying, do you have your airline reservation?
If you are driving, do you have your route planned and the appropriate maps? Yes maps.
Have you sent in your registration? The answer for everyone is NO, and the form is on the Durant site under 2013 National Meet.

So, if you are planning on attending, start planning. We are looking forward to seeing all of you. And if you need additional information you can contact me at wlbjayhawk@aol.com.

See you in San Diego

Charlie and Peggy

Peg and I understand that some of you are having challenges making hotel reservations when your dates are before or after the actual DMAC meeting dates. OK, we have the solution.

Call the Courtyard by Marriott @ 619-481-5887 and ask for Annika during regular business hours. She will be more than happy to assist.

Peg has been assured that the rate is good for at least five days before and five days after.

If you have challenges after talking to the hotel, please let us know, and Peg will make sure there is a resolution. The hotel is working with us every time that we call, so please just be patient.

Thanks

Charlie and Peg

DMAC update:

We may have created some confusion with the way the description to the USS Midway was written, and the ladies tour to Old Town. ANYONE that wants to stay and tour the Midway until it is time to return to the hotel certainly can do so. The ladies do not have to go to Old Town, that trip is optional. However, when you do send in your registration, we need to know who is going to Old Town so that the appropriate reservations can be made, and there are enough people that can drive from the Midway to Old Town.

So, anyone that wants to stay and tour the Midway until 2 pm is welcome.

Sorry for any confusion.

See you in San Diego!
Charlie and Peggy

Hi All......

Cathy & I are all set, airline, hotel & car reservations all made. We will arrive on Monday afternoon. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful area.

Thanks Charlie & Peg for putting together this meeting, we sure are looking forward to seeing everyone in September !!

Frank & Cathy ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

Peg and I have driven and mapped all of the tour routes this past week, and we will be returning in early August to drive them all again.

We will be finishing the San Diego Dining Guide so that Rick can post that on the website, as well as a list of things to do before and after the DMAC.

For starters: San Diego Zoo or the San Diego Safari Park.

See everyone in September.

We received the registration form from one individual and one couple today, were they yours? Anyone want to guess who was #1?

We have a lot planned for the several days of the DMAC, and if you are coming to San Diego, Peg and I encourage you to come early and stay late. San Diego is a DESTINATION city, and there is a lot to do, and you will only be scratching the surface of what to see and do during the DMAC meeting.

Peg and I have had a vacation home in San Diego for over 10 years, and we have not seen and done all that their is to do. If anyone has any special things that they want to do before or after the DMAC, please email one of us or you can text Peg if you know how to do that, just do not text me because that is not something that I know how to do, nor plan on learning.

See you in San Diego

Peggy and Charlie

Hey Charlie
Out of the country right now, will be back after the 8th of July. I'll send in my registration then. Don't want to miss it.

Mike

there is plenty of time to register. Make your hotel and air reservations as well.

Airline reservations made, car rental taken care of, hotel reservations made, reservation form will be in the mail shortly. See everyone in San Diego. We will arrive Wednesday afternoon.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

DMAC Attendees:

One item that we forgot to put on the registration form is are you a veteran. So, anyone that is attending that is a veteran, if you would please send an email to one of us we would appreciate.

OK, I've sent in my pre-registration and it looks I'll be arriving on Friday the 13th. Hmmmmmmm.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Application in the Mail, reservations made, Hotel,Car and Air done.
Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Check went out today to Charlie & Peg, Hotel reservations made, check check, not to try and find a decent air fair. Long flight from Florida to San Diego. Going out not bad, but coming back it's a killer. See you all in San Diego!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Are YOU registered for the 2013 DMAC annual meeting in San Diego. You do not have much time to register. Also the deadline for hotel reservations is August 12 in order to get the DMAC rate, free parking, and breakfast included.

Mail your registration, call the hotel, book your flight, and Join us in San Diego.

Reservations made-check sent to charlie Guess all I have to do is get there - Car not yet ready to show so its staying home again Hopefully next time.

See you all in sunny California-- ( too hot here so it will be nice to cool down a bit)

Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Peg and I just arrived in San Diego to put the final touches on the DMAC Annual Meeting.

Are YOU registered? If not PLEASE, send in your registration, I will be back in NJ to get the mail in two weeks, SO PLEASE send in your registration in the next few days.

We have lots of things planned, and we recommend that you add a few days to your trip to enjoy this fine city.

Are you attending the 2013 DMAC in San Diego?

Have you made your hotel reservation? The DEADLINE to get the negotiated rate is August 12, after that date the regular room rate will apply. The regular room rate does not include parking and breakfast.

Have you sent in your registration form?

We look forward to seeing all of you, and it is important to make reservations and registrations ASAP.

Charlie and Peggy

Reservations made.

Rick

We are getting down to the last two days to get the hotel rate (with additional perks of breakfast and free parking)-so, if you have not called the Marriott to make a reservation, NOW is the time!
We are looking forward to seeing everyone for this Durant Conference. Hopefully, we will provide everyone with a real "Taste of San Diego!" If you have looked at the agenda, you will find we have located Americana, Italian and French restaurants for our group meals, and the ladies will be headed for Mexican on our Thursday outing. (Side note- the Italian restaurant changed their name, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the sign, thinking they would not honor the luncheon price, but no worries once I called.
The hotel is located on Hotel Circle in San Diego, so you are not far from downtown (lots of excellent places to eat) and Old Town (lots of shops, Mexican Restaurants and chock full of historic buildings. There is a road across from the hotel that will take you directly to Fashion Valley-one of the nicest shopping malls in SD, again with some great restaurants. Charlie will be posting our restaurant guide shortly.
We have loaded the garage with sodas and water for the Hospitality Suite, and Phil has gotten some Durant Wine for us (I look forward to tasting that). I still have a lot to finish up (centerpieces for the banquet, snack shopping, goodie bags, name tags, etc), but we WILL be ready for everyone on September 11!
See everyone then--Peggy

Where Are You From? San Diego/New Jersey

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

Hotel registration made some time ago, check sent in for registration. Air reservations made this morning. I'm set! see you all in San Diego on September 11, 2013. Arriving around 01:15 P.M.

I'll be leaving 5am, Friday 6 and will bring a '26 Star coupe with me.

mike we have your registration, don good to hear. we have several registrations, and a couple of checks to deposit this week. I am returning to NJ next week and will get the rest of the registrations.

we look forward to seeing all of you in about a month.

charlie and peggy

Hotel reservations made prior to the deadline and registration mailed to you. Looking forward to the event!

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Our hotel Reservations have been made, check should now be in NJ....We plan on hauling the Flint down....Bruce and Eddie Harigin of Bothell,WA will be borrowing a trailer and hauling their D-60 sedan down...We will leave around the 5th and first go to Yuma where it is still hotter than a Billy Goat in the pepper patch, then about 3 hrs on I-8 over the hill to San Diego.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 touring / '29 D-40 Coupe / '25 H-40 Flint Brougham

I just returned from San Diego, and there were a lot of registrations. Bob got yours, Don got yours, and Bruce's was in the pile as well.

see you all in San Diego.

Hi Charlie;
Any idea of how many registration you have so far or cars attending? Just curious, I know it won't be exact.

For those of you that are coming to San Diego. There is a Dining Guide that has been posted on the Club Events link.

Bon Appetite

Mike

to answer your question from the other day. We have 48 confirmed registrations. There is at least one person with a hotel reservation that has not sent in a registration. There are bound to be a couple of last minute registrations.

as for cars, I forgot to put on the form are you bringing a durant/star/deaux/flint etc, but based upon my conversations with those attending, my SWAG for the day is a dozen.

we are on the count down.....see you in San Diego....

Charlie that's great! Looks like it's going to be a great turnout and some fine cars too. Then again even if you only have Durantonians and no car we've been known to have a good time. I'm looking forward to it.

Mike

My car is attending and it's bringing Cyndi and I.

Don

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614 Deluxe sedan

Don thanks, I had factored you as one that was bringing a car because of proximity to San Diego. And we are looking forward to seeing both of you in about two weeks.

travel safe.

I can't wait to get there. I ran an internet search for Greek eateries in San Diego and found several. One, in particular, Greek Cafe on Mission Center Rd.
It's been 40 years since I was stationed in Crete and tasted a genuine Greek Souvlaki. This restaurant has them with the proper lamb meat. My taste buds may get there before I do. Anybody want to go with me?

We have a total of 52 people attending the DMAC annual banquet on Saturday.

On the DMAC website under Club Events, you can find our dining guide for San Diego. Please download, print and bring with you so that you have a copy. Any questions about the restaurants, ask Peg or I.

see you in a few days. Travel safe

The count down is on! Are you in San Diego or on your way to San Diego for the DMAC Annual Meeting?

Registration will start shortly after lunch on Wednesday in the hospitality room at the hotel.

Peg and I look forward to seeing our Durant friends for the next few days.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club