Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rad cap And Gas cap

I need a rad cap and a gas cap for my car. Anyone have a spare they would part with ?
Norm I see you got a rad cap =-- Any more around where you got yours?
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Model 614 Delux Rumble seat coupe

Re: Rad cap And Gas cap

Hi Ken, great to see you at Traverse City! I don't know if it is the same part or fit, but I purchased a new one from the Butters and it looks great. Wasn't real expensive, I think under $100.00. So you might email them.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

No Mike nothing like our caps. Yours is screw on, ours half twist. Last I heard ours is in the $200 range.

Yep Ken .. email Gord Curl as he has two more but missing the under part that fits the rad neck. He also has lots of the brass circles that hold the red circles down that keeps the water coming out the rad neck. Has the red circles as well. I think if memory serves me he said he got them .. caps, brass and red circles from the US, from a fellow that repaired caps. Don't quote me on that, but Gord can fill you / us in. I was just so awed to see three caps after looking for 50 yrs for just one.

Can't help on the gas cap but you should be able to get a jobber that will fit the neck. I got a slide on half twist cap that fit and the lad who made my tank put the orig neck too low for it to work. The flat ebay jobber does. Asked for a triangular tank with rounded corners and got back this squared 8 sided triangular tank. At that he had my orig as a pattern. He does government welding contracts and rod bodies so why he couldn't round the metal I have no idea. The sending unit sits on a round tube orig. He made a square box that doesn't fit the round cross plate hole on the frame, unless I make the lower part of the hole square. sigh.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Well now that the great comments are over--does anyone have a pair of caps for sale at a reasonable price?? Butters may have a lot but I am a poor working man -Cant afford the prices he wants --
Ken

Perhaps you can take the under part off another cap, like Ford A, to make a complete Durant one. 30 - 32 D one has a square hole and is held in place with a bolt.
Gord was asking $30. Ebay one, before summer, went for over $150 after no bids. I asked the seller what happened to it, since we talk from time to time.

Ken The gas cap should be available at any auto parts store. There was no special 'Durant' cap for our 6-14s. Pretty plain. If you cannot find one locally I know that a cap for a classic british mini will work. They are available through Mini Mania under the classic mini cooper heading, fuel section for $19.95. But you must be better able to get British parts in Canada from the mother country. As for the rad cap-a tough one probably expect to pay. As was mentioned earlier you cap find the correct 'inner' parts to the cap at any swap meet and assemble that part once you have a 6-14 cap. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross, the gas caps resemble the 28 / 29 D's but not treaded and made out of metal. Vent hole in top. I went though a pile of caps similar from Minaker Auto Parts Milford Ltd , who has parts 1920 and up but none would fit the 30 - 32 D neck. Finally got one that just does at a fleamarket. There are a number of British car clubs in Canada and perhaps one of those might have the Mini Cooper cap.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club